Long march protesters led by relatives of missing Baloch persons reached Uthal on Saturday after walking 571 kilometres on the RCD Highway from Quetta. Karachi is now 125 kilometres away for the marchers on foot.
The march is likely to reach Karachi on Monday or Tuesday where the relatives will set up a hunger strike camp in front of the Karachi Press Club.
As many as 20 people, including eight women and children, started their march from the Quetta Press Club 19 days ago.
“The feet of all participants are bruised and bandaged,” said Mama Abdul Qadir, vice president of the Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VFBMP), an advocacy group striving for the safe recovery of Baloch missing persons.
The long march was provided with an ambulance in Lasbela district, but the vehicle broke down after couple of kilometres.
“My father Din Mohammed, a doctor by profession, was abducted by security agencies from Khuzdar in 2009,” said Sammi. Since then, he said, his family was disturbed. “If he was involved in any crime, he must be brought before the court. I want my father back,” she said.
“The objective of the long march is to highlight human rights violations in Balochistan where people are being kept in illegal custody,” said Nasrallah Baloch, chairman of VFBMP.
There are conflicting statements about the number of missing people in Balochistan.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 17th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ