JOB OPENINGS AT THE EXPRESS TRIBUNE
- To collect selected news items to prepare news stories.
- To prepare news from filed stories according to space and technique.
- To correct news provided by reporters for grammar, typos and accuracy.
- To summarize (pad/expand) news provided by reporters as and when required.
- To rewrite news in the easiest possible words projecting important points in a balanced way.
- To select headlines for a piece of news/to give picture captions.
- To check for objectionable stories.
- To check for legal issues.
- To check for bias.
- To make pages in cooperation with graphic designers.
- To check news agencies for relevant stories that may have been missed.
- To coordinate with photographers for relevant pictures with stories.
- Compiling routine information like table, charts, etc.
- Proofreading complete pages.
- Keeping up to date with stories appearing in other publications.
- Research before working on commissioned stories, interview people in person/over the phone.
- File press releases in the beat.
- Assigned a beat and given authority and responsibility for this.
- Expected to cover all events and incidents in their news beat.
- To coordinate with the web edition.
- Expected to coordinate with desk.
- File story within prescribed deadline unless breaking story.
- Come up with ideas for news stories and features in the beat (by talking to a contact, reading other newspapers or general observation).
- Keep the chief reporter updated on important happenings in the beat.
- Follow up potential stories.
- Check facts and background information before filing news story.
- To have an understanding of news stories and an ability to conceptualize them into visual journalism.
- To have an in-depth knowledge of layout design.
- To translate news stories into effective layouts for the paper using graphic design, illustrations, typography and photography.
- To have a thorough knowledge of the following softwares; Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- To be able to co-ordinate with news desks for stories, pictures and relevant data that can be converted into layout design.
- To have an understanding of maps and map design.
- To have photo editing skills.
- To make pages in cooperation with the editors/news team.
- To coordinate with photographers/editors for relevant pictures with stories.
- Compiling and designing routine information like table, charts, etc.
- Keeping up to date with stories appearing in other news publications worldwide.
- Keeping up to date with news design trends worldwide.
- Experience required – fresh design graduates are encouraged to apply. Working experience in advertising agencies/publication houses/design houses is a plus.
ENGLISH COPY AND CONCEPT WRITER FOR TV AND PRINT.
- Proofing all press ads / posters / English print material.
- Coming up with and developing concepts for programs, promotions, campaigns, sales pitches, channel ids, etc.
- Someone who has some basic design sense and can create AV boards, suggest press layouts or suggest conceptual executions for layouts that need to be changed.
- Someone who is able to support their visual suggestions / concepts with the help of taglines, copy etc. (they will not be expected to make the design as for that we do have designers but would be required to visualize the layout)
- Excellent grip on the English language also possessing a relatively good grip on Urdu. (not in terms of writing in Urdu but someone who can at least read and understand Urdu)
- Someone who can translate from Urdu to English and also create copy / write up that needs to be derived out of Urdu scripts.
- Responsible for day-to-day site design and creation.
- Creating or editing images and graphics for website use.
- Creating templates of approved website layout.
- Coding website using HTML, or GUI design software.
- Coordinating with programmers for specialized scripts.
- Layout, visual appearance and usability of website and ensuring that brand continuity is maintained.
- To design Web sites and ensure that they are visually effective and easy to access.
- Testing the web sites for functionality in different browsers and at different resolutions.
- A strong online portfolio displaying user-centred design, and ideally some experience with web database solutions.
- An Art, Design or Media based Honours Degree
- Must possess in depth knowledge of current web-design trends and techniques
- flexible attitude with proven experience of working in a small team.