RAHIM YAR KHAN/ SARGODHA:
Security of 6,542 schools in Sargodha division is unsatisfactory, a spokesman of the Education Department said on Sunday.
In a statement, the spokesman said the RPO had been directed to beef up security around these schools. He said after the December 16 attack on Army Public School in Peshawar, the government had directed all schools to install CCTV camera, hire security guards and build bunkers at entrances of school buildings.
He said the Education Department had reviewed security arrangements at schools during summer holidays.
He said administrations of schools with poor security should make the arrangements before they reopened.
He said security around 6,542 schools in Sargodha, Khushab and Bhakkar had been declared unsatisfactory. He said the RPO had been directed to take action against those schools failing to meet security standards.
Read: Safety first: Schools directed to have buildings inspected
The spokesman said 43 schools had been put in A+ category and two snipers each had been deputed for their security.
In Rahim Yar Khan, DCO Muhammad Zafar Iqbal visited several schools to review security arrangements. He was accompanied by DPO Tariq Mastoi.
The DCO told the heads of the educational institutes that schools would re-open on August 17.
He said the government had directed the school administrations to complete security arrangements during summer vacations.
He said ensuring security of students was a responsibility of the state which must not be taken lightly.
He said all CCTV cameras should be functional. He said principals should monitor of security directly.
The DCO said a cleanliness drive had been arranged for schools before they re-opened.
He said encroachment near campuses had been cleared.
He said trained guards should man entry and exits of the educational institutions. He said negligence in this regard would not be tolerated.
Read: Carrying weapons to school
DPO Tariq Mastoi said security guards deputed at schools would be given a training course at police lines.
He said police should be informed when school administrations hired a new guard.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 17th, 2015.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ