Police constable among five dead in the city

A woman’s throat was slit while she was at her house.

Our Correspondent August 07, 2014


Five people including a police constable were shot dead in separate incidents in the city on Thursday.

In Garden, two men were gunned down by unidentified men within the limits of the Garden police station. According to City SSP Sheraz Nazir, the deceased were identified as Muhammad Arif and Taufiq Hoti. They were on a motorcycle heading home when unidentified motorcyclists opened fire at them near a traffic police check post close to Rehmania Masjid. The assailants managed to flee before the police reached. SSP Nazir claimed that the attackers were following Arif and Taufiq.

He added that both men lived in Makki Apartments near the Karachi Zoological Garden and were contractors by profession. The SSP said that the police had recovered four empty 9mm bullet shells from the scene of crime and were investigating the case.

A Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf spokesperson claimed that Hoti was associated with their party and was one of the founding memebrs. He added that he used to head the party’s district South office.

The IG has taken notice of this killing. The DSP and SHO have been suspended.

According to the police, unidentified men killed 35-year-old Muhammad Sajjad Abbasi, a police constable who worked with the Anti-Violent Crime Cell. The incident took place at Islamia Colony No.1.

The SHO of the Pirabad police station, Haq Nawaz, said that the attackers were waiting for Abbasi behind the Jamshed petrol station located near Islamia Colony.

He added that Abbasi was on his motorcycle when the attackers shot at him and managed to escape before the police could reach the scene of crime.

The body was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for an autopsy and was later handed over to the family for the burial.

The body of a 28-year-old man was found near Jhokio Dinar Goth, National Highway, on Thursday within the limits of Steel Town police station. According to SHO Haroon Korai, the man had been killed three days ago. He said that they could not identify him as the body had started to decay.

The SHO added that the deceased had been tortured and then strangled to death. The body was taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC ) for the autopsy and was later shifted to the Edhi morgue.

A woman’s throat was slit while she was at her house in Model Colony Street No. 2 on Thursday. According to SHO Iqbal, Fehmida Khatoon, 56, was the wife of Sohrab Khan and was found dead at her residence by her son. The police took the body to JPMC for medico legal formalities. The SHO said that the deceased’s husband was in Dubai and she was living at home with her son, Faisal, who had gone for his tuitions. The police said that the case is being investigated.

A 40-year-old man committed suicide in North Karachi on Thursday within the limits of the Sir Syed Police Station. According to the police, the deceased hung himself from a ceiling fan. The family took the body to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where the doctors confirmed that he was dead. The deceased was a married man and the police claim that they had a troubled relationship.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 8th, 2014.