WASHINGTON DC: The Pentagon said on Thursday that it stood by Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan’s assessment last week that debris from an Indian anti-satellite weapons test would eventually burn up in the atmosphere, despite a subsequent, more negative assessment by NASA.
India shows off space prowess with launch of mega rocket
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said on Monday more than 400 pieces of orbital debris from the test had been identified, including debris that was traveling above the International Space Station — something he called a “terrible, terrible thing.”
Asked whether the Pentagon stood by Shanahan’s earlier assessment, spokesperson Charlie Summers said: “Yes.”
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ