Maulana Sami’s secretary arrested for failing polygraph test

Police obtain four-day remand of Ahmed from court in Maulana Sami murder case

Saleh Mughal March 01, 2019

RAWALPINDI: An important development has taken place in the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Sami (JUI-S) chief Maulana Samiul Haq’s murder case.

The Rawalpindi police has arrested Sami’s secretary Ahmed Shah and obtained his four-day remand from the court.

On being present with Maulana Sami at the time of the crime and failing the polygraph (lie detector) test, the police arrested Ahmed Shah and obtained his remand from the court.

According to details, after the suspicious murder of the JUI-S chief on November 2, 2018 (Friday) in which he was stabbed (multiple times) to death with a dagger in the room of his private housing society’s residence, the police collected more than 25 samples of evidence from the crime scene. Water bottles, glass, hair of different sizes, Sami’s shirt, blood-stained bed sheet, various fingerprints, one dagger, a shirt with blood stains on it hanging in the washroom and others were sent for examination to the Punjab Forensic Science Agency.

The forensic agency found DNAs of five different people on the samples. The Rawalpindi police investigated 22 people. After questioning, the police shortlisted seven to eight of them for thorough investigation. They were taken to the forensic agency where their DNA samples were taken and compared with the samples collected from Maulana Sami’s room; however, the officials could not find a match.

Judge declines exhumation of Maulana Sami’s body

Sources said reports on some samples sent to the forensic lab had been received, while that of the rest were awaited.

Maulana Sami’s sons refused to have a postmortem of their father conducted and sent a letter to the Rawalpindi police. On Rawalpindi CCPO Police Abbas Ahsan’s directives, the police approached the court, but could not obtain permission to exhume the body for postmortem.

In order to further the investigation, the police included Maulana Sami’s secretary in the investigation. Ahmed Shah was with the maulana till he breathed his last and had gone to Nowshera for the burial.

When police conducted a background check on the secretary, it was revealed that Ahmed was an Afghan immigrant and was staying in Pakistan since childhood. He was working for the maulana since long.

When the police reached Nowshera, they found Ahmed missing. The Rawalpindi police contacted the Nowshera and Akora Khattak police and issued notices to Ahmed to come before the police.

Police also sent summons through courier to Akora Khattak and Ahmed’s house, seeking his participation in the investigation.

Ahmed handed himself over to the Rawalpindi police. He was sent to the forensic lab along with seven other people for a polygraph test.

Others cleared the test, while Ahmed failed.

Rawalpindi senior police officer, when contacted by Express, said Ahmed was arrested and presented before the court where a four-day remand was granted to the police.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read