Kharotabad incident: I didn’t order fire, says Ex-CCPO Quetta

Former Quetta CCPO told the tribunal he tried to go close to the foreigners before FC personnel resorted to firing.


Express June 07, 2011

QUETTA:


Former Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Dawood Junejo told a judicial tribunal on Monday that he did not pass the order to open fire at the five foreigners in the Kharotabad incident.


He added that he had, in fact,  stopped a policeman from shooting on the spot.

The judicial tribunal, appointed by the Balochistan government to investigate the killing of five foreigners in the Kharotabad area on May 17, resumed its hearing on Monday during which the former CCPO and other officials recorded their statements.

Junejo requested the tribunal to record his statement in an in-camera hearing. However, Justice Hashim Kakar, the head of the tribunal, declined his request and said there would be an open hearing because “we want people to see justice being delivered”.

Junejo said he was not there when the blast occurred, adding that he arrived there three or four minutes after it.

Frontier Corps (FC) Colonel Faisal Shehzad was already there, he added. “The firing started some 20 to 25 minutes later, but I did not order the police personnel to open fire. I stopped a policeman from firing at the foreigners. The FC personnel were continuously firing and I wanted to go closer to the foreigners, but the SP of the crime branch stopped me from doing so,” he told the tribunal.

Earlier, Civil Defence Officer Gul Mohammad stated that a parcel “containing 56 detonators” had been sent to him from the crime scene. “After inspecting it, I re-sealed it and sent it back to the officials concerned,” he said.

Investigation Officer Ilyas told the tribunal that blood samples of the foreigners had been dispatched to Peshawar and Islamabad for a DNA test.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 7th, 2011.

COMMENTS (3)

Sameer Usmani | 10 years ago | Reply i cannot believe the video in the link posted by brother ali, the police and specially the FC (because it is a component of the army) can generate any kind of info they want, they implant the information they want us to believe by distorting facts. The thing is, that if they really were terrorists, and in this case, of russian origin, then, instead of going through iran, they have a pretty simple route of going through the tribal areas. Because there is only a 58 mile strip of afghanistan between Pakistan and tajikistan, and if these people had to escape, they should have done it easily and without any problem by going to the lawless north waziristan region, then afghanistan (only 58 miles) and entering into tajikistan ! simple !
ali | 10 years ago | Reply http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeIparxrnU Please watch the video and see for youself .. GEO ARY Dunya news Express etc are just promoting the fact that these were innocent .. THese were terrorists and FC Police did a great job in hunting them down.... shame on media for telling people the wrong story
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read