‘Hopelessness is a sin’: Fawad Alam positive despite non-selection

Published: April 16, 2018
PHOTO: AFP

PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Pakistani left-handed batsman Fawad Alam has promised to work even harder and stay positive after being ignored in the 16-man squad for the upcoming tour to Ireland and England in May.

Chief selector Inzamamul Haq on Sunday announced the squad on Sunday sans Alam, however, with five players receiving maiden Test call-ups.

When asked why he wasn’t picked from the 25-man initial Test camp, Alam said: “I don’t know the answer to this; this has been happening forever. However, a player’s job is to perform, stay fit, and wait to be rewarded.”

Fawad, nepotism and Pakistan cricket

He continued: “As far as selection is concerned, the national selection committee can answer why I wasn’t picked. As a player I am leaving no stones unturned.”

Alam was seen training in a different kit than the others during the training camp for the tour, but he negated any view of discrimination.

“Coach, management, support staff and all the players were nice to me. As far as the old kit is concerned, all the players are playing in the national team so they had the new kits. I had the old kit with me so I was wearing that, but I was given a new one later.”

He also said that he didn’t see any signs of discomfort with him being in the camp. “I didn’t see any wrong gesture from anyone that I am an outsider. The camp was good. We all worked hard and enjoyed it. We all benefited from it and the team which is going on the tour will also benefit from it.”

On non-selection

Alam, despite having a historic average in domestic cricket, hasn’t been able to break into the national team even after the retirement of veterans Misbahul Haq and Younus Khan, but he is not going to lose hope.

“Being hopeless is a sin,” he said. “I’ll do what I know best. I’ll work hard, try my best, practice more, and play whatever domestic cricket comes my way. My cricket doesn’t end here if I wasn’t named in the squad.”

Fawad misses out again as Pakistan announce squad for Ireland, England Tests

The southpaw added that he was hurt when his name wasn’t announced but he is positive that better times will come. “It hurts definitely. But I can’t just leave cricket saying there is no use. Whatever I have today is because of cricket. I respect the game a lot. Ups and downs are part and parcel of this sport, but one needs to stay positive and wait for better things to happen.”

Future plans

Alam might be non-desirable to Pakistan, but he is planning to go to England to play league cricket apart from playing in the domestic competitions.

“Pakistan Cup is coming. I will try my best to perform there. Other than that, I might go to England to play league cricket,” he revealed.

Alam concluded by thanking his fans for their support. “Thank you so much and keep supporting me. I will keep working hard and Allah will not let you prayers go to waste.”

• Cricket.
    Apr 16, 2018 - 7:21PM

Fawad Alam is an inspiration to all of us. Despite not being selected, he remains optimistic. It’s really very good way to tackle the difficult time. Keep going, may Almighty bless you Fawad bhai.Recommend

• MJ-Sid
    Apr 16, 2018 - 10:33PM

This guy was the fittest of all cricketers in the army boot camp.
    He took his team to become T20 championship and won it 2 years ago.
    During that tournament he had amazing average and strike rate.
    PCB did not invite his entire team to T20 championship in Punjab last year.
    Has the best domestic average.
    He still stays positive.
    Amaaaazing !!!Recommend

• Amjad Hussain
    Apr 17, 2018 - 1:22AM

I honestly don’t believe he was not selected because he is from Karachi. Over the years Pakistan has had a lot of great cricketers come out of Karachi and they have played extremely well for the Pakistan Cricket Team.
    I can give you an example like Umar Akmal, he is one of the best T20 players in the world but he is unable to get into the National side. Sometimes fitness can be an issue, or maybe the attitude towards the other players. I just think that the selectors are giving some of the new players a chance. Hopefully they will play well. Recommend

• kashan
    Apr 17, 2018 - 9:19AM

I m very dissatisfied with the process of team selection. What is the basic criteria for selection of any player???? Domestic or anything else (Parchi/ Relationship/ Close Association).

Fawad we are with you. keeping going InshAllah you will get a chance. Our prayers is with you.Recommend

• KarachiWala
    Apr 17, 2018 - 9:38AM

Only if he was born in Lahore or anywhere else in Punjab had he been selected time n again- ah the poor chap belongs to lowest caste of Pakistan’s city systems, i.e., KarachiRecommend

• Rafique Khan
    Apr 17, 2018 - 10:52AM

There is still plenty of time for Inzamam ul Haq, Micky Arthur and team management to medically unfit on player and replace with Fawad Alam. As far as my knowledge is concerned Micky Arthur is playing game against talented players in Pakistan. He has criticized Kamran Akmal and not selected Wahab Riaz. Regarding Wahab Riaz he used to say that Wahab could not won a single match for the last two years.

Micky Arthur was more positive for selection of Imam ul Haq and given more preference to him rather than Fawad Alam. Recommend

• Sheharyar
    Apr 17, 2018 - 12:11PM

Its such a shame that he has been ignored yet again. He has performed remarkably well in the domestic circuit for quite sometime now.I still remember him playing the first ever t20 world cup back in 2007 where he bowled quite well. He has great potential a student of the game. Fawad Alam ‘s carrier reminds me of Yasir Hamid , who was dropped from all formats since 2010 due to an shoot interview about the PCB and players who are ruining the sport of cricket in the country. Recommend

• Mohammed - - - Auckland
    Apr 17, 2018 - 4:27PM

Keep playing and training hard and praying. Once Allah decides to get you in no one will be be able to stop you.
    He has the final say in every matter.Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Sports