Targeted attacks: Party worker, milk shop owner gunned down

Police officer shot dead on Saturday laid to rest in Frontier Colony.

Our Correspondent August 10, 2014

KARACHI: A worker of the Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ) was shot dead along with a milk shop owner in separate incidents on Sunday.

The ASWJ worker was killed near Jhanda Chowk in Liaquatabad within the limits of the Super Market police station. The deceased was shot multiple times and died on the spot. The body was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where he was identified as Farazuddin. SHO Rizwan Patel said that the deceased was a resident of the area he was shot in and used to work in real estate.

According to the police, unidentified men opened fire at him as soon as he left home on his motorcycle. The SHO said that they had not ascertained the reason behind the murder as yet. The ASWJ spokesperson said that the deceased was a party worker and was killed in a targeted attack. He added that the culprits should be arrested.

In an unrelated incident, 50-year-old Jamil Ahmed was gunned down when two motorcyclists opened fire at him at a milk shop located in Block 17 within the limits of the Samanabad police station. He died on the spot. The body was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for the autopsy. SHO Nadir Khan said that the deceased used to run his milk shop in the area. He added that Ahmed was at work as per routine when he was shot. The officer claimed that the motive behind the incident has yet to be ascertained. He ruled out the possibility of an extortion related killing and said that Ahmed could have been killed over a personal enmity. He added that further investigation was underway.

Laid to rest

A police officer who was shot dead on Saturday was laid to rest on Sunday. ASI Hameed Khattak, 34, son of Khan Bahadur was shot and injured near Khyber Hotel within the limits of the SITE A Section police station.

Police officials said that he was posted to the Special Security Unit (SSU) and was on his way home when armed motorcyclists shot and injured him. He was taken to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries on Saturday night. His funeral prayers were offered at the SSU Headquarters at Hassan Square and he was buried at the Frontier Colony graveyard. The police have registered an FIR No. 386/14 against unidentified persons and have initiated further investigation.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 11th,2014.