Condolences: Foreign Office condemns attacks in Kabul, Paktika

Spokesperson urges Afghanistan to act against terrorist sanctuaries.


Our Correspondent July 18, 2014

ISLAMABAD:


The Foreign Office on Thursday strongly condemned the attacks in Kabul and Paktika as spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said, “We extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and pray for the speediest recovery of the injured. No cause justifies such wanton acts of violence, especially in this holy month of Ramazan.”


Aslam added that despite repeated demands, Afghanistan has yet to take action on the ground against Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) sanctuaries particularly in Kunar and Nuristan. “So far, we have no information if any action on the ground has been taken to eliminate these sanctuaries of terrorists on Afghan soil,” the spokesperson said.

She added that Pakistan is determined that its territory will not be used against Afghanistan, saying, “We expect similar commitments from Afghanistan.”

Tasnim said Pakistan welcomed the amicable solution reached regarding the complaints of fraud in the second round of Afghan Presidential elections.

Discussing the recent conviction of a Pakistani journalist in Afghanistan, she said a Pakistani mission in Kabul and the Consulate General in Jalalabad has been pursuing the case.

“The Pakistan ambassador in Kabul took up the matter with high-ranking Afghan dignitaries, including the foreign minister and interior minister. In all these contacts, the Afghan authorities were asked to release Faizullah Khan on humanitarian grounds. The Afghan authorities, at various levels, promised to help in this case,” she told reporters.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 18th, 2014.

Our Publications

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ