Dozens of people from Chak 235-RB on Sunday staged a protest demonstration against the police for releasing several men accused of rape.
The protestors, mostly women, staged a sit-in in front of the district government secretariat and chanted slogans against Saddar DSP Khalid Bashir.
The protestors also blocked the Zila Council Chowk causing a traffic jam.
Abida Bibi, one of the protestors, said, “Sadi Ahmad, Muhammad Rauf, Imdad Hussain, Javaid Akhtar, Haq Nawaz, Mazhar Ali abducted three sisters and raped them.”
She said, “We filed a complaint against the men. However, the DSP declared them innocent. He was paid a lot of money by these men.”
“The men are not only roaming free but also threatening us with dire consequences unless we withdrew our complaint,” she said.
The protestors demanded immediate arrest of the men and action against the DSP.
Later, a police team headed by Rail Bazaar SHO Muhammad Asif met the protestors. They were assured that the case would be investigated thoroughly and the culprits would be arrested in accordance with law.
The demonstrators then called off their protest and dispersed peacefully.
Talking to The Express Tribune, SHO Syed Sibtain Hussain said the case was found baseless by the DSP and hence not pursued by the investigation officers.
In another protest, two dozen people of Model Town staged a demonstration against the police for the recovery of two abducted girls.
Najma Bibi, resident of Chak 222-RB, said Afzal Butt, Umar Butt and Shehzad Jara had abducted her two daughters.
She said she had lodged a complaint at Gulberg police station but so far, the police had not recovered the girls.
“Some police officials have asked me for bribes but I cannot afford to pay them,” she said.
The protestors chanted slogans demanding safe recovery of the girls and immediate arrest of the kidnappers immediately.
The demonstrators also staged a sit-in at Zila Council Chowk.
A police team assured the protestors of speedy justice.
On this assurance, the demonstrators called off their protest and dispersed peacefully.
Talking to The Express Tribune, Gulberg SHO Omer Hayat said, “The police have raided various localities for the recovery of the children but no arrests were made.”
He said three localities were identified by the complainant. He said arrests were expected in the next 72 hours.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 29th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ