Musharraf’s name placed on Exit Control List

Published: March 30, 2013
Ex president Pervez Musharraf on his return to Pakistan. PHOTO: REUTERS

Ex president Pervez Musharraf on his return to Pakistan. PHOTO: REUTERS

Former president Pervez Musharraf’s name was put on the Exit Control List (ECL) over his involvement in several cases, Express News reported on Saturday.

The Interior Ministry has sent a notification to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Immigration in this regard.

On Friday, the Sindh High Court had ordered Musharraf to not leave the country without seeking prior permission of the concerned courts.

Justice Sajjad Ali Shah Shah had also granted a 21-day extension to Musharraf in the Benazir Bhutto assassination and Nawab Akbar Bugti case to appear and surrender before the trial courts.

Musharraf arrived in Karachi on March 24 after four years in self-exile to contest the upcoming general elections under the banner of his party, the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML).

He has filed his nomination papers for the National Assembly from three constituencies – NA-250 (Karachi), NA-32 (Chitral) and NA-48 (Islamabad).

• Saim Baig
    Mar 30, 2013 - 3:30PM

About time to tell these politicians & Dictators that Pakistan is not their playing field. They come they loot & they leave!!! Time has changed & Pakistanis want to take back whats rightfully their!!

• Syed A. Mateen
    Mar 30, 2013 - 3:33PM

ECL is altered from time to time, depending on the permission of the Honourable Court in Pakistan.

One never knows that today General (R) Musharraf’s name in included in the ECL and at a later stage it may be removed if the Honourable Court will issue instructions to remove his name from ECL.

• Mohammad
    Mar 30, 2013 - 3:33PM

PM is not a peon! this is my answer to haters..Recommend

• Gp65
    Mar 30, 2013 - 3:42PM

Are these cases new? If he was allowed to leave in 2008 , what has changed now?

• Ali
    Mar 30, 2013 - 4:23PM

When Supreme Court can honorably release Lal Masjid’s Moulana Aziz who declared war against Pakistan, then SC can also put Musharraf’s name on ECL. Its not a big deal !!

• Down with Mush
    Mar 30, 2013 - 4:31PM

now jail is a safe heaven for you MUSHI… :-P

• A J Khan
    Mar 30, 2013 - 4:31PM

So he has been imprisoned in Pakistan. Its a Judicial revenge.

• Mar 30, 2013 - 4:44PM

Most of whatever you point out happens to be astonishingly legitimate and it makes me wonder the reason why I had not looked at this with this light formerly. This guide actually did switch the light on for me as far as this certain topic goes. Nonetheless at this time there is actually 1 issue I am not too relaxing with so while I try to integrate that with the real core concept of your position, let me see exactly what all the rest of your site visitors have to say. Effectively done.

Funny Tv Programs

[1]: http://pkwebmart.com

• Dr.A.K.Tewari
    Mar 30, 2013 - 5:10PM

What a joke , when Pakistan can not check exit and entry of terrorists , ELC is not applied on US and her nationals then who can dare to arrest Musarraf in Pakistan . Wait and see the role of winner mush in deciding the destiny of Pakistan .

• cautious
    Mar 30, 2013 - 5:48PM

You would have thought that giving up his passport would have been a basic condition of parole? As far as ECL goes – that may help if he decides to leave the country via public airport but if/when he departs he may very well choose military transport and there wont’ be any civilian authorities checking those planes. The only way to insure he won’t be jumping bail is to not give him bail.

• Bhatti
    Mar 30, 2013 - 6:00PM

General stay strong!! We are with u!!

• Iqbal Hadi Zaidi
    Mar 30, 2013 - 6:21PM

What a pity! Former president Gen (R) Pervez Musharraf whom I address as my Bhaijan since I am born in Dec 1943 while he is born in Aug 1943 and we both are Urdu speaking in any case and therefore I have some affinity with him though I have never ever met him except that once I posted my message at President web site and his press secretary has replied me. He came back home on 24th instant to contest in election but unluckily since then he is facing untold odds. What pinches me the most is that he has been so much entangled with different court cases in different cities that he could not hold even one public meeting like leaders of other political parties have done. He had planned to address a public gathering at Quaide Azam mazar on 24th which was allowed but just a day before its permission was withdrawn
    His name has now been put on ECL so now he has no option but to be within the country and face court cases at the expense of contesting election. I can only pray for my Bhaijan.
    Iqbal Hadi Zaidi / Kuwait / iqbalhadizaidi.formerdiplomat@hotmail.com

• Babloo
    Mar 30, 2013 - 6:26PM

Oh the ” Exit Control List.” One of the greatest inventions of the Pakistan state. Got to love that.

• Muhammad
    Mar 30, 2013 - 6:29PM

@Mohammad:
    PM is not an angel! this is my answer to all followers..

• aneeeqa abbasi
    Mar 30, 2013 - 7:23PM

@Mohammad:
    bt every1 shd be equal in the eyes of law…..PM or anyone else…all shd be equal…..

• SAL
    Mar 30, 2013 - 7:37PM

Did the Govt add the names in ECL of all the ex-Ministers who just got off the cabinet? This work is more important than adding the name of Pervaiz Musharraf.

• Shahzadi
    Mar 30, 2013 - 7:39PM

In light of what the past 5 years have been like for Pakistanis and Pakistan, needless to say that Musharraf has done lot of good things for Pakistan comparatively. He should get a fair go for these elections, if we are aiming for democracy. At least he is intelligent and knows what he is talking about. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes and will be a good voice from the back benches.

• Ghazanfar Raza
    Mar 30, 2013 - 8:03PM

CAn any one on the Airports has courage to stop him if he reached there to go abroad ????????????

• Student
    Mar 30, 2013 - 9:04PM

any official person statement from FIA ? Any link.

• Raham Dil
    Mar 30, 2013 - 11:35PM

Musharraf is a “mehman” (guest), he should stay for as long as he wishes. He should be given full protection and security, so he does NOT fall martyr to an assassin. The courts can try him but in the end nothing will be proven. Since neither the looters, nor the terrorists, nor do any high profile political rulers, with or without domestic or international immunity leave any proof, the Courts cannot punish. And, at the end of long legal processes, the result is that people begin to suspect that the culprits might be innocent AND THIS AGAIN WITHOUT PROOF.

• MSS
    Mar 30, 2013 - 11:40PM

No other nation in the world does that to its Presidents and PMs. Shame on the system. I wonder why anybody in Pakistan wants to have top jobs?

• gulmetlo
    Mar 31, 2013 - 3:47AM

Next he should be booked for his Kargil misadventure.

• Mirza
    Mar 31, 2013 - 7:52AM

It is ironic that those who wanted Zardari to be tried for 3 decade old cases now talk about Mush’s acts of high treason as old cases. As the time goes by (like Arab spring) there would be no place to hide for any dictator in the world especially after losing power. There is no dictator who has come back to power after the humiliation of running away. As the govt was changing and new caretaker set up was installed Gen Mush capitalized on the opportunity and came back. He never dared to be back prior to that. No political party gave him a send off, it was his handpicked army chief who offered him guard of honor, just like the army gave full honor to the drunken womanizer Yehya Khan also.

• Mohammad Ahmed
    Mar 31, 2013 - 9:20AM

I have been following Musharraf all along and I noticed that his popularity increases day by day since he arrived in Pakistan just because of the hate mongers. Today so many PTI’s have joined Musharraf. I am positive Musharraf might win quite a lot of seats just because of the hate mongers. So my message to Musharraf haters please hate a little more so that his popularity increases. Thank you.

• Aschraful Makhlooq
    Mar 31, 2013 - 10:43AM

There is nothing going to be happened to Musharraf because where PML-Q shall be placed which has been enjoying under Musharraf’s umbrella from 2002 to 2007 and now trying its best and utmost but unsuccessfully to prove itself innocent and sinless what happened in Musharraf’s regime and which made close ties and relations with PPP and has done seat adjustments in the different constituencies……
    If Musharraf is convicted then never forget that PML-Q is equal shareholder in Musharraf’s crimes and Musharraf is not responsible himself alone because PML-Q has taken equal part in any activities in Pakistan done in Musharraf’s regime…..

• Enlightened
    Mar 31, 2013 - 11:08AM

The greed to rule again brought Musharraf back to Pakistan which proved to be a bait and got him entangled in many serious cases. The most powerful former dictator of Pakistan is now caught firmly by the powerful judiciary who was once badly humiliated by him is not going to let him off the hook lightly.

• holy me
    Mar 31, 2013 - 3:22PM

General, can you also return any money you were given for no reason. It belongs to the country as well as the heavily subsidised properties, they should be transferred to the victims of terrorism families who have been affected by your past policies.

• Apr 2, 2013 - 7:44PM

For more detail visit our site:

• furkhanda pervez
    Apr 2, 2013 - 11:54PM

General Pervez Musharraf Retired is a born kommando and has now come to Pakistan………….. SHAHADAAT HAI MATLOOBAI MAQSUD-E