TODAY’S PAPER | August 22, 2026 | EPAPER

PM expresses 'displeasure' over officials' ceremonial buggy ride at August 14 parade

Premier observes that display of 'pomp and show projected an image of privilege and personal aggrandisement'


AAMIR ILAYS RANA August 22, 2026 3 min read

ISLAMABAD:

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has taken a “very serious view” of an incident at an official function in Islamabad on August 14, during which the chief commissioner and inspector general of Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) rode to the event in a ceremonial horse-drawn buggy, it emerged on Saturday.

According to documents available to The Express Tribune, a formal advisory was issued on Monday by Establishment Division Joint Secretary (Discipline) Syeda Shafaq Hashmi to Inspector General of Police Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi and Chief Commissioner of Islamabad Capital Territory Lt. (Retd.) Sohail Ashraf.

The advisory stated that the incident had attracted widespread public criticism and that the prime minister had expressed “disappointment and displeasure” at the display.

According to the document, the premier observed that the display of pomp and show projected “an image of privilege, ostentation and personal aggrandisement” that was at odds with the ethos of public service.

“Civil servants and public functionaries hold public office in trust for the people” and are therefore expected to demonstrate humility, restraint, dignity and sound judgement at all times, according to the advisory.

It said such conduct “undermines public confidence in public institutions” and was inconsistent with the standards of conduct expected of senior civil servants and government functionaries.

The advisory stated that the public and the government expected the highest standards of propriety, conduct and responsible governance from holders of such prestigious public offices.

“You are advised to be careful in the performance of your duties and ensure that such conduct should not recur. This may be treated as being for strict compliance in letter and spirit,” it said.

Read: Naqvi defends Islamabad officials over buggy use at Independence Day parade

The criticism centred on the two officials' use of the buggy during the parade and Independence Day celebrations. The issue subsequently circulated on social media, prompting the interior minister to issue a clarification.

Naqvi defends Islamabad officials over buggy use

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi defended the Islamabad police chief and chief commissioner after the two officials drew criticism on social media for using a buggy during the August 14 parade in the capital.

Naqvi said the officials were not at fault for using the vehicle and for proceeding with the event in the absence of the chief guest and himself.

“I know what happened was not appropriate, but I want to clarify that it was neither the IG’s nor the Chief Commissioner’s fault,” he said in a post on X on August 15

He explained that the chief guest and he had been delayed due to a meeting between the president and the prime minister.

“The buggy was arranged for the chief guest but, unfortunately, due to unavoidable circumstances, it was used by the officers,” Naqvi said.

He said both officials had initially resisted starting the programme in their absence.

“I can say on record that both officers initially resisted starting the programme in our absence, but we specifically instructed them to proceed for the convenience of the public,” he added.

Naqvi also thanked the residents of Islamabad for making the August 14 event a celebration.

.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ