Metro bus workers protest dismissals, unpaid salaries
Operations between twin cities suspended for hours after workers blocked the track

Employees working for companies providing services to the Metro Bus Service staged a strong protest against forced dismissals, salary deductions and non-payment of wages by parking buses between IJP and Potohar stations and blocking the track.
According to details, employees of private security and other companies associated with the Metro Bus Service operating between the twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad had been raising their voices for the past several days against unpaid salaries, unjustified deductions and forced terminations.
After receiving no response, affected employees gathered on the track between IJP and Potohar stations in Islamabad on Monday morning and started a protest.
Red Metro buses were parked at both stations and other locations, suspending Metro Bus operations for several hours and causing severe inconvenience to passengers.
Female employees of the Metro Bus Service also participated in the protest. Demonstrators carried placards bearing slogans demanding payment of two months' salaries and reinstatement of dismissed workers.
The protesters alleged that the Metro Bus administration and service-providing companies had terminated 150 to 200 employees without notice. They said some employees were told that the age limit for employment was between 25 and 40 years, while others above 40 were informed that the computerised system did not accept them.
The protesters questioned why employees over 40 years of age, who also needed employment, were being removed when several workers above that age were already working in the service.
They said dismissals had started in April and were continuing, while salaries for March, April and May had not been paid. They added that dismissed employees had also not received two months' pending salaries.
According to the protesters, the Metro Bus contract had been awarded to a new company, but employees should not suffer because of the change.
They said the contracts of dismissed employees were valid until 2027.
Workers claimed employees with eight to 10 years of service had been removed through various excuses and replaced with new workers by the new company, which they termed a violation of the agreement.
Workers claimed employees with eight to 10 years of service had been removed through various excuses and replaced with new workers by the new company, which they termed a violation of the agreement.
The protesters also demanded a full monthly salary of Rs40,000, four regular and two emergency leaves every month, an end to unnecessary penalties, timely payment of salaries and an explanation regarding the alleged deduction of Rs5,000 in cash at the time of salary payments.
They claimed employees were made to sign salary slips showing Rs42,000 per month but were handed only Rs37,000 after deductions.




















COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ