16 killed in Karachi building collapse after gas cylinder blast
Officials say blast at Sehri time; search on for possible survivors under rubble

At least 16 people were killed and 13 others injured after a gas cylinder explosion caused the roof of a residential building to collapse in Karachi’s Gul Rana Colony in the Soldier Bazaar neighbourhood, a spokesperson for Rescue 1122 (Sindh) said on early Thursday morning.
The blast occurred near Street No. 05, close to Aga Khan School. Emergency services rushed to the scene shortly after the incident, with ambulances and volunteers transporting the injured and deceased to Civil Hospital Karachi, where treatment is ongoing.
Eyewitnesses said the explosion was so intense that nearby buildings also shook, spreading panic in the area.
ASP Jamshed Nasir said, “The incident occurred at 4:15am. The building was constructed on girders. The cause of the collapse is being investigated. The gas blast occurred on the first floor.”
Read: 25 killed, over 240 injured in LPG cylinder blasts across Punjab
During the rescue operation, 16 deceased and 14 injured individuals were recovered from the rubble. One of the injured was discharged after initial treatment, leaving 13 under hospital care.
The deceased include children and adults: Narjis (2), Mohammad Riaz (60), Nazia (10), Benazir (15), Kambar Ali (27), Yasmin (21), Sono (6), Waseem (5), Nadeem (28), Sajjad (12), Abbas (18), Zainul Nisa (35), Aqsa (15), Afshan (14), Anisha (19), and Rukhsar (18).
The injured, also spanning a range of ages, include Mohammad Shahid (60), Vikia (50), Bilawal (14), Padhra (10), Adnan (6), Riaz (7), Tasleem (25), Zainuddin (6), Kamran (40), Sunhan (12), Kausar (13), Amna (55), and Junaid (18). All were provided immediate medical attention before being transferred to nearby hospitals.
Chief Operating Officer Dr Abid said, “The explosion took place at Sehri time. The blast was caused by gas leakage. Around 14 bodies have been recovered and 14 people were injured. Small rooms had been built on the ground plus two floors. Due to very limited space, rescuers are facing difficulties in the operation. This is not a legal building; it consists of single-room units. Nearby buildings were also damaged when it collapsed.”
Rescue 1122 confirmed that operations are ongoing to ensure no one remains trapped under the debris. Authorities continue to investigate the cause of the blast.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed deep sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the building collapse at Soldier Bazaar in Karachi.
The prime minister offered prayers for the departed souls and conveyed his condolences to the families of the victims. He also prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured and directed that all possible medical assistance be provided to those affected.
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has also taken notice of the incident, ordering relevant authorities to rescue those trapped under the rubble and provide full support to affected families. Relief operations have been instructed to be expedited.
Authorities have been directed to investigate the cause of the explosion, while citizens are urged to exercise caution with gas use and report any suspected leaks immediately.
Sindh Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon and the Sindh government expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives in a gas leak explosion at a residential building in Soldier Bazaar, Karachi.
Addressing the incident, Memon offered heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased and confirmed that the government stands with the bereaved during this tragic time. He added that immediate and top-quality medical care has been provided for all the injured.




















COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ