At least seven members of a Pakistan-origin family lost their lives when their residence burned down in the Canadian province of Alberta on Friday.
Among the casualties were four children. Five of the residents were able to flee from the house during the fire. According to the prayer leader of Calgary mosque, Syed Suharwardy, there were two families residing in the house at the time of the incident.
He added that one of the families had arrived a few days ago to stay at the residence.
'In contact with Canadian authorities'
Foreign Office (FO) spokesperson Zahid Hafeez Chaudhri expressed grief over the incident and said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims of this tragic incident. We also pray for quick and full recovery of the injured".
The spokesperson further stated that the country's consulate general in Vancouver was in contact with Canadian authorities to ascertain the facts leading to the incident.
He added that officials were also in contact with the bereaved family to extend assistance to them.
The spokesperson further said that the cause of the fire was unknown, adding the authorities had ruled out the involvement of a criminal act.
Canada drew the world's attention last month following the killing of a Pakistan-origin family in Ontario.
The family lost members from three generations after it was targeted in a “religiously-motivated” attack when a pick-up truck ran over them in the south of Canada's Ontario province while they were waiting on the sidewalk to cross the road.
Police said the family fell prey for being Muslim and the attack appeared to be a “premeditated” one.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ