Stop construction on footpaths: SHC

Stop construction on footpaths: SHC


Our Correspondent April 15, 2021
PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI:

The Sindh High Court directed the relevant authorities on Wednesday to end illegal occupation and construction on footpaths in Pakistan Employees Cooperative Housing Society (PECHS).

The counsel for the petitioner told a two-member bench, comprising Justice Syed Hasan Azhar Rizvi and Justice Rashida Asad, that a footpath adjacent to his client's house had been illegally occupied.

Besides, he said, the construction of only two-storey buildings was allowed in the area, but a private party had constructed a three-storey building in the society.

He said his client received death threats when he tried to stop the construction of the three-storey building.

At that, Justice Rizvi inquired who maintained and monitored footpaths in PECHS and who was responsible for ending their illegal occupation.

The counsel replied the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) was responsible for footpaths in the area.

Following that, the court issued notices to the Sindh government, KMC and other parties, directing them to restrict illegal construction in PECHS, and sought an explanation from the private party on the construction of a three-storey building in the area.

Replies sought

Meanwhile, a two-member bench comprising Justice Muhammad Ali Mazhar and Justice Amjad Ali Sahito sought replies from the parties on a plea pertaining to the alleged illegal appointment of additional advocate generals and assistant advocate generals in Sindh.

The bench was hearing pleas filed by Ghulam Mustafa Mahesar and others, challenging the termination of the contracts of two additional advocate generals and four assistant advocate generals.

At the hearing, the counsel for the petitioner, Barrister Abid Zuberi, maintained that the terminations of the contracts were "illegal" and stressed that the reasons behind the move be outlined.

"Only the Sindh governor has the authority to the issue the notification [for the termination of the contracts]," he argued, adding that the notification issued by the Sindh government was based on "mala fide intention."

Published in The Express Tribune, April 15th, 2021.

Our Publications

Most Read

RELATED

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ