Karachi Zoo to be given family park status

Mayor says authorities have taken advantage of closure to carry out uplift work at zoo

Our Correspondent July 23, 2020


The Karachi Zoo will soon be granted the status of a family park, declared city mayor Wasim Akhtar on Wednesday, adding that the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) had already passed a resolution for the purpose.

To mark the 150th anniversary of the Zoo on Wednesday, Akhtar cut a cake and inaugurated various projects, including a newly-constructed cage for white lions, the zoo's rehabilitation office and a public announcement system.

Following this, the mayor told the media that they had utilised the zoo's closure amid the coronavirus pandemic to carry out uplift work at the facility. "The zoo will look more beautiful in the coming days," he added.

Meanwhile, he stated that the zoo's pond had also been repaired so that visitors could enjoy boat rides, while a veterinary hospital had also been established there to cater to animals that were unwell.

Akhtar further disclosed that animal cages, walls and other places had been painted, while the staff had been provided with new uniforms.

"The aquarium has also been renovated and the KMC is ensuring the provision of basic feed and medicines to the animals despite limited resources," he added.

He explained that 40 per cent part of the zoo area was fixed for the animals - the zoo has over 900 different breeds of animals and birds - while the remaining 60 per cent had been allocated for parks, ponds, a canteen and gardens.

"Around 300,000 people visit the Karachi Zoo annually and the KMC aims to facilitate the visitors," he added.

Speaking about the history of Karachi Zoo, Akhtar stated that Mahatma Gandhi had visited it in 1913, following which it had been named after him. Later, in 1955, the municipal council renamed it as the Karachi Zoological Garden.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 23rd, 2020.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read