LAHORE: The decision on Maryam Nawaz’s nomination papers for NA-35 was reserved by the returning officer (RO) on Wednesday after being challenged by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) Yasmin Rasheed.
The RO reserved the decision after the former first daughter appeared for her scrutiny process and hearing the appeal filed by the PTI leader. Maryam’s counsel, Pervez Malik, argued during the process that all facts had been disclosed in the nomination papers.
Malik further claimed that Maryam is a regular tax payer and PTI’s Rasheed needs to provide evidence before the court on her claims. Rasheed had submitted arguments against Maryam, adding that the party had raised 21 objections against the PML-N candidate.
The objections raised relate to three references filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), irregularities and misrepresentation of information pertaining to income and expense.
Addressing the media outside the court, Maryam said she will be celebrating Eidul Fitr with her ailing mother Kulsoom in London.
Commenting on Sheikh Rasheed’s disqualification verdict, she said that she did not bother tuning in to hear the verdict. “The whole nation predicted what would happen. What’s the use of hearing a verdict when you already know what it is going to be.”
Maryam also added that Nawaz being is targeted following a failed script. “A dictator who abrogated the Constitution twice is asked by the judge to return home with security protocol promised,” she remarked.
Former chief minister and PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif’s nominations were approved. A list of all successful candidates will be released on June 19. Hamza Shehbaz will also be appearing before the court for his PS-164 nomination for a provincial seat from Sheikhupura