LAHORE: Valuables worth millions of rupees were reduced to ashes when a fire broke out in a five-storey plaza near Mochi Gate on Monday.
Rescue workers rushed to the scene and took control of the situation. To prevent further casualties, officials evacuated the plaza and the adjoining buildings. Nearby shops and markets were closed down for security purposes. The power supply to the area was also disconnected.
The extinguishing operation lasted for several hours as rescue workers struggled to contain the flames that erupted in a warehouse full of plastic toys.
“The fire tenders were unable to enter the site due to narrow streets,” said Muhammad Rizwan, a rescuer present at the scene.
He added that the fire quickly engulfed the remaining floors of the plaza. Police said that initial reports suggest the incident occurred due to an electrical short circuit.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 6th, 2018.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ