ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Thursday said India’s confrontational attitude was a threat to regional peace and security that may lead to a strategic miscalculation.
“Pakistan is fully capable of giving a befitting response to any misadventure,” said Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal at his weekly brief.
On the Indian army chief’s recent statement, he said such irresponsible and provocative statements were regrettable and reflected the jingoistic mindset of India, which could further exacerbate an already vitiated environment in the region.
“Indian falsified claims and belligerent statements are motivated by an exaggerated view of its own capacities and hegemonic designs,” the spokesperson said.
India’s mistaken belief and irresponsible rhetoric were fraught with unforeseen dangers in an already volatile strategic environment, he added.
He maintained that Pakistan had no desire to escalate the situation and had reacted with maximum restraint
Faisal, who also heads the South Asian desk at the ministry, said he had summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh and condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations by Indian occupation forces along the Working Boundary earlier in the day, in Sialkot Sector.
The unprovoked Indian firing resulted in the martyrdom of two innocent women (Ms Perveen Bibi, 45, and Ms Ayesha, 20) while injuring five others, including three women.
“The Indian forces along the Working Boundary have been firing with heavy mortars and automatic weapons since last night on the civilian populated villages in Sialkot. Despite calls for restraint, India continues to indulge in ceasefire violations,” the spokesperson said.
He said in 2018, the Indian forces had carried out more than 100 ceasefire violations along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary in just 18 days, resulting in the shahadat of three innocent civilians, while injuring 10 others.
“This unprecedented escalation in ceasefire violations by India is continuing from the year 2017 when the Indian forces committed more than 1,900 ceasefire violations.
“I have urged that the Indian side should permit UNMOGIP to play its mandated role as per the UN Security Council resolutions.”
The spokesperson told reporters that the situation along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary was deteriorating with each passing day.
“Heavy weapons, including mortars, are frequently being used by the Indian forces on the Pakistani side of the LoC and the Working Boundary, resulting in large number of civilian and military casualties and damage to properties. This is in clear violation of the 2003 Ceasefire Arrangement.”
He said India had deliberately escalated tensions at the LoC and the Working Boundary in order to try to divert the attention of the international community from the grave situation in Indian occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
“We have shared our concerns on the issue with the international community, including the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
“We have also engaged UNMOGIP as they have the mandate to monitor the LoC and the WB, in line with the UN Security Council Resolutions; however, regrettably, India is not cooperating with UNMOGIP.
“We have continuously conveyed our condemnation to the Indian side on ceasefire violations and call upon the international community to play its role,” he said.