In response to Saturday’s terrorist attack on security forces in which 15 people including eight soldiers were martyred and 25 others injured, Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Sanaullah Zehri has vowed to chase all terrorists and their facilitators out of their hideouts and bring them to justice.
“Terrorism is a global problem now and not confined to Pakistan alone,” Zehri said while addressing a news conference at the CM Secretariat on Sunday. He was flanked by Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal, provincial ministers, and others.
The chief minister said that he was at the rally of ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif in Lahore when terrorists targeted the truck of security forces. “We hurried back to Quetta on the instructions of [Sharif].”
Zehri, accompanied by the interior minister, had returned to Quetta late on Saturday night.
The Balochistan CM said, “The security situation has improved immensely as compared to that from 2011 to 2012, when seven to eight explosions occurred every day in different parts of the country.”
He blamed the unmanned parts of the borders with neighbouring countries, from where thousands of people cross without valid documents, as a serious threat to maintaining peace.
Claiming that a lot of hideouts and terrorist training camps had been unearthed and destroyed in operations Zarb-e-Azb and Radd-ul-Fasaad, he vowed that the government would continue all these efforts to eliminate terror outfits and their hideouts.
Zehri said that the people used to feel insecure in the past, but after strong and calculated actions, a sense of security had been restored among the people.
“As we speak, security agencies are busy in locating and unearthing the gang that organised the suicide attack,” he added.
Stressing the need to further strengthen unity among all ranks of the nation to completely efface the menace of terrorism from the country, the minister called for complete solidarity and unity to fight the war on terror.
He also assured of full cooperation by the federal government to tackle this menace, adding the enemy was very clever and had specific designs against Pakistan.
Terming cowardly attacks as a tactic to build psychological pressure on the nation, he said, “Our enemy does not realise that these attacks further increase the courage and determination of the people.”
The minister said the enemies of Pakistan were on the run and very soon the government, with its law enforcement agencies and cooperation from the help of people, would be able to eliminate terrorism entirely.
Separately, the Balochistan CM presided over a high-level security meeting regarding the suicide attack in Quetta.
The meeting took a number of decisions. It was reiterated that the security agencies would pool in their resources to unearth and destroy all hideouts of terrorists across the country.
The meeting was attended by Ahsan Iqbal, Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti, Rehmat Saleh Baloch, Commander Southern Command, Lt-Gen Aamir Riaz, Chief Secretary Aurangzeb Haq, Inspector General of Police Ahsan Mehboob, and Quetta DIG Abdul Razak Cheema.