PARIS: Reaction from around the world to the plane crash in Colombia carrying the Brazilian top-flight team Chapecoense among the 81 on board:
"Brazilian football is in mourning. It is such a tragic loss. My sincere condolences to the families of the deceased. Rest in peace."
- Brazilian football legend Pele
"Shocked by the tragedy that happened to Chapecoense Real. Solidarity with the families and friends of all the victims. A hug for the club and for all Brazilian football."
- Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo
"It is impossible to believe this tragedy, impossible to believe it happened, impossible to believe that the plane crashed, impossible to believe that athletes, humans were on that plane, impossible to believe that these people left their families."
- Barcelona and Brazil striker Neymar
Footballers' deaths in Colombia plane crash stun Brazilian home city
"My deepest condolences to all the families, friends and fans of Chapecoense."
- Argentina and Barcelona striker Lionel Messi
"Sadly those lads, who were on the way to becoming a force in football, took the wrong plane."
- Argentine great Diego Maradona
"This is a very, very sad day for football. At this difficult time our thoughts are with the victims, their families and friends. FIFA would like to extend its most heartfelt condolences to the fans of Chapecoense, the football community and media organisations concerned in Brazil."
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino
"Pray for my teammates please."
- Chapecoense striker Alejandro Martinuccio, who missed the trip due to injury
76 dead after plane carrying Brazilian football team crashes in Colombia
"Our thoughts are with Chapecoense and everyone affected by this tragedy and their families. We are speechless."
- Sergio Ramos, Real Madrid captain
"Deeply affected by Medellin's plane crash. I shared locker with Cleber Santana and it's difficult to reveal how I feel. A huge hug."
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea, who played with Santana at Atletico Madrid
"My prayers and my solidarity for the survivors, families and friends of Chapecoense in this sad time."
- Colombian striker Radamel Falcao
"We are deeply shaken by the accident concerning the club of our old player Cleber Santana. Our condolences to the families. Rest in Peace."
- Atletico Madrid, whose former player Santana was club captain at Chapecoense
Five tragic air disasters that left the football world stunned
"The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with Chapecoense and all those affected by the tragedy in Colombia."
- Manchester United, who lost eight players in February 1958 as their plane crashed on take off from Munich airport
"Real Madrid expresses its sorrow at the tragic air crash involving the Brazilian club Chapecoense and extends its condolences to relatives and friends of the victims. At the same time, wishing an early recovery for the survivors."
- Real Madrid
"All our support and solidarity is with the victims and the families affected by the Chapecoense Real tragedy in Colombia."
- FC Barcelona
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ