MANILA: An explosion at a market in the home city of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte killed at least 10 people on Friday and wounded dozens more, his spokesperson said, adding the cause of the blast was unknown.
Duterte was in Davao on Friday, but was safe and at a police station after the explosion, his son Paolo Duterte, who is vice mayor of the city, told Reuters.
Photos from the site of the explosion in Davao City | via @jboygonzalessj https://t.co/CaczwF9CtH pic.twitter.com/qwjiubnlry— CNN Philippines (@cnnphilippines) September 2, 2016
The incident took place at a street market outside the high-end Marco Polo hotel in Davao, in the southern Philippines, a military spokesman told reporters by phone.
A police official said at least 30 people had been hospitalised.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella told CNN Philippines that some 60 people were wounded and 10 confirmed dead.
10 people were killed and dozens injured in Davao blast. Watch the livestream here: https://t.co/CaczwF9CtH pic.twitter.com/Uxd2gQsIlM— CNN Philippines (@cnnphilippines) September 2, 2016
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ