Not just another newspaper

Published: April 15, 2011

The writer is a journalist based in Karachi and has worked for Newsline and The Express Tribune Magazine

In late 2009, I got an SMS from Kamal Siddiqi, who identified himself as editor of the yet-to-be-launched The Express Tribune, asking for a meeting. At the time I considered myself thoroughly unemployable so I messaged back telling Kamal I thought he’d contacted the wrong person. It took a certain amount of back-and-forth to establish that he did indeed want to meet me, a person who had the same transitory relationship with jobs that Elizabeth Taylor had with her husbands.

On the day of the interview, I thought of wearing a full-sleeved shirt and shoes, but since I’d already sacrificed enough by waking up a full two hours earlier than normal, I opted for my normal uniform of a T-shirt and flip-flops. The interview was surreal. Kamal explained his vision for the newspaper, while I kept giving him reasons why he really didn’t want me there. As it happened, I made one of my biannual job changes a few months later and The Express Tribune somehow agreed to hire me. I barely lasted six months. I can safely say that the only time Kamal and publisher Bilal Lakhani have shown poor judgment was in giving me a job.

On its one-year anniversary, tempting though it may be to write about the newspaper as a former employee, I pen these words as a consumer. When I was working there, The Express Tribune was just another newspaper that paid me a salary at the beginning of every month. Only as a reader of just about every English language newspaper that exists, did I appreciate its worth. Among the pile of newspapers that is thrown at my doorstep, it is the one I start my day with.

If there is one problem newspapers have faced recently, it is that they have not been able to figure out their role. There is no longer such a thing as a newspaper of record. The media is too fragmented, with far too many sources of information at our disposal. From a mess of television channels to breaking news on the internet, all the information we never even knew we needed, is now instantly available. Newspaper readers no longer need to know what has happened; they need to be told why it has happened and what is being done about it.

That is where The Express Tribune has stepped in. It is far more than a regurgitation of news that anyone with a television set or modem already knows. Whenever we run out of topics to cover, columnists like me have a foolproof plan of filling up our word count — we demand follow-ups on long forgotten stories. This newspaper actually does the legwork and obsesses over stories long after everyone else has deemed them irrelevant. That might not be as sexy as the newspaper’s groundbreaking design but it is a true act of public service.

Being eternally cynical, I had initially written off The Express Tribune as just another English-language newspaper in a country that already has a lot of them. That in itself is a good thing, since one can never have too many newspapers. In the last few months, however, I have increasingly seen other newspapers in the country, and even foreign newspapers, all but steal original reporting that has first appeared in this paper. More than anything else, that is proof of how much of an impact it has had in just one year.

Now, if they could just use their talented design team to make the floating head that appears with this column look less ugly, The Express Tribune truly will be the best newspaper in the country.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 16th,  2011.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• John
    Apr 16, 2011 - 12:04AM

Need I say anything more? A good paper, nearly balanced and objective. Congratulations!Recommend

• Apr 16, 2011 - 12:40AM

Agreed. The floating heads give me nightmares.Recommend

• Guppo
    Apr 16, 2011 - 4:13AM

Nadir, marry me !Recommend

• faraz
    Apr 16, 2011 - 4:15AM

I love reading the reader’s comments. Highly learned individuals really tear apart an article which is not based on logic and facts.Recommend

• Apr 16, 2011 - 6:19AM

come to think of it i like your twitter pic better:)Recommend

• ashok sai
    Apr 16, 2011 - 3:26PM

@ ET, Entire Team

Congrats, as I always said, you are the best. I am just thinking how much beating you had from your own country man for allowing us Indians to freely post their view, obviously those who criticize you for the same don’t know how much service you are offering to Pakistan by opening the views from your neighbour we Indians.

God bless you ET with growth and moral courage to withstand in difficult times.Recommend

• ashok sai
    Apr 16, 2011 - 3:32PM

@ ET

One suggestion, if you can somehow bring writers like Kamran Shafi, Irfan Hussain and NFP, it will be like ‘Icing on the cake’. Recommend

• Srinath
    Apr 16, 2011 - 6:20PM

Loved reading ET. Best wishes. And don’t leave Salman Rashid.Recommend

• Raqib Ali
    Apr 16, 2011 - 6:29PM

@ ET

Welcoming views from across the border is always welcome but what I have seen is pure hatred against Muslims coming from both India and self hating Pakistanis. If I want to read these kind of views, I can open youtube or any Indian newspapers.

We had so many good things happening in Pakistan too.
    Our newspapers (like you) don’t high light that.

While our media has been mourning the state of Pakistan,
    no one told us that we trebled our GDP from 1999 to 2009.
    i.e. from mere $62 BILLION to $163 BILLIONS. Is that a mean achievement?

When I challenged an Indian readers on youtube about his assumptions about Pak, he sent me a message admitting his mischievous comments and asked me to look at Pakistani press and compare it with Times of India and see what type of negativity Pakistani press is feeding into Pakistani society. Recommend

• joy
    Apr 16, 2011 - 7:32PM

ET

i was told about ET by a friend about three months ago....before that I had never visited a
    pakistani site...
    and once I started reading ur online paper..I became a fan....

keep up the good work…….

God bless all of u and give u strength

joy

IndiaRecommend

• Shock horror
    Apr 17, 2011 - 2:34AM

Congratulations on your first anniversary. A high quality newspaper with a truly liberal approach, and this comes from someone who is a confirmed cynic. Best wishes for the future.Recommend

• Umair Khan
    Apr 17, 2011 - 11:30AM

Express Tribune has managed to come at the top of the English newspapers in the country. Recommend

• Seriously?
    Apr 18, 2011 - 12:50AM

Yes, yes birthday mubarak – can we all move on now?Recommend

• Adnan
    Apr 18, 2011 - 2:14PM

Tribune newspaper growing day by day due to its professionalism.Recommend

• Nitin Agarwal
    Apr 18, 2011 - 7:07PM

From reader’s perspective, I find the reading experience in Express Tribune so much better, as compared to any of the Indian News portals. Most Indian news portals, especially Indiatimes and Rediff has this ‘In Your face’ advertising pop ups, which cover up the news segment, when you are in the middle of reading the news article. Many times I simply give up reading because of this. It’s like they almost make you pay for reading the news.

I find ET so much more inviting for a reader. I find it to be equally inviting to writers as well…as there are 5-10 new articles in the opinion section.

I would like to congratulate ET for their efforts, and would suggest my Indian writers to move to this site for publishing articles. It would be so much better if writers from both sides use a common platform, as this would encourage more unbiased content and give readers a more balanced view.

-Nitin.Recommend

• Noor
    Apr 22, 2011 - 11:50PM

hats off to you all.. keep up the good workRecommend

More in Opinion