Truck bomb in Kabul kills eight, wounds nearly 200

A hospital official said their facility had been flooded with patients, including many women and children


Afp/reuters August 06, 2015
Midnight car bomb attack scene in Kabul. PHOTO: @KhalilNoori/TWITTER

KABUL: A truck bomb exploded near an army compound in the centre of the Afghan capital on Friday, killing at least eight people and wounding close to 200, police and health ministry officials said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion, which shook the centre of the capital and ripped through homes and shops.

"A truck bomb detonated close to an army compound," said Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi, adding that at least eight bodies had been found.

The health ministry said 198 people had been wounded.

Dozens were wounded by debris and glass shattering in the heavily populated area and cars parked at least a hundred metres were damaged by the blast, a Reuters witness said.

Police expect the number of dead to rise, as buildings had collapsed and bodies were feared buried in the wreckage.

The blast was unusually powerful in a city that is frequently targeted by the Taliban and other militants seeking to destabilise the Afghan government.

Smaller magnet bombs or suicide attacks have become a weekly occurrence in the heavily fortified capital, but large truck bombs have rarely penetrated the city's outskirts.

A Western security source said the target was probably a compound used by Afghan intelligence officials and that as many as 15 people had been killed.

An official at the Emergency Hospital in Kabul said the facility had been flooded with almost a hundred patients, including many women and children.

Most were arriving on foot, the official said, and were being treated for superficial wounds. He said doctors had already started operating on the more severe cases.

The Afghan war between the foreign-backed government and the Taliban has intensified since the Nato combat mission ended last year and most foreign troops were withdrawn.

Afghan security forces are battling the Taliban with only limited support from coalition forces this year and have sustained heavy losses.

Around 4,000 army and police are lost each month to casualties and desertions, the US general in command said this week.

Dozens of clashes are reported every day and civilians are frequently caught in the crossfire. The truck bomb was the second huge explosion to target security forces in 24 hours.

Early on Thursday, a truck bomb targeting an Afghan special forces base exploded in eastern Logar province, killing at least three soldiers and wounding dozens.

Almost 5,000 civilians have been wounded or killed in the conflict during first six months of 2015, the United Nations said.

COMMENTS (2)

Last Word | 6 years ago | Reply Those who are killing innocent civilians to assert their claim to rule the country are neither fit for the same nor any negotiations should be carried out with them. The situation is similar to Pakistan when TTP was using the same tactics and Pakistan had to cancel talks and mounted an operation on it.
Amna Rizvi | 6 years ago | Reply The day google car's come, I think the Taliban will be the first ones to take advantage of the technology, using it as a bomb!!! RIP the innocent.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read