KARACHI: Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as the 'brain-eating' amoeba, claimed the life of a 56-year-old man, bringing the death toll in Karachi from the disease in the last few weeks to eight.
Talib Ali, a resident of Federal B Area, died of naegleria fowleri in a private hospital on Wednesday. The victim was admitted in the hospital a day earlier.
Health officials believe Ali was infected with domestic water. “There is no history that the deceased had gone for swimming or outside the area,” Director Health Karachi Dr Zafar Ejaz said.
Read: Fatal Virus: Naegleria finds 6th victim in Karachi
Health officials urged citizens to take precautionary measures themselves as the government is not able to reach out to every house for awareness.
“Citizens must play their role,” Dr Ejaz urged. He said that the health department has already started campaigning in various areas of the city.
“Water tanks should be kept clean and citizens should at least use boiled and chlorinated water for washing their nose.”
Read: Brain-eating amoeba: Naegleria claims fifth life in a month
“We are trying our level best to distribute chlorine tablets among people and create awareness among masses,” he added.
Town medical officers have also been directed to conduct awareness sessions in their respective areas.
Last year, 14 lives were claimed by the water-borne disease.