Disaster averted: One killed as officials foil terror attack on football match in Kurram

Army chief commends Levies for their vigilance and action, reiterates resolve to deny terrorists space, eliminate them

Shamim Shahid May 06, 2015

At least one person was killed and three others were injured when two suicide bombers were stopped by Levies from entering packed school ground in Alizai area of Lower Kurram on  Wednesday where a football match was underway.

Officials confirmed that two attackers, wearing explosives, tried to storm the school playground. But Levies officials guarding the ground opened fire at them.

They exchanged fire for sometime before the attackers were killed and their explosives detonated. Two officials were also injured in the blast.

The officials and eyewitnesses said the suicide bombers attacked people in a playground inside Government High School Alizai, lower Kurram Agency shortly before Maghrib prayers.

"It is a terrorist attack and the target was a football match," a political administration official said.

"Terrorists opened fire at the players and spectators in the football ground," the official added.

A Levies official shot the attacker as he started firing at players and spectators in the playground.

Eyewitnesses added that two explosions followed the firing.

Officials said that Siraj Hussain, a dispenser in Alizai Hospital, had been identified as the victim.

The injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Alizai. Doctors at the hospital said the injured were in critical condition.

Alizai is considered the second biggest town in Lower Kurram Agency and is a Shia-dominant area which has seen sectarian unrest.

The officials said that all four hurt in the incident, including the deceased, belonged to the Shia community.

So far no one has claimed responsibility for the attack though officials suspect the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan could be behind it.

Army chief commends Levies for vigilance, action

Following the incident, Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif commended those attending the football match and those posted for security for their vigilance and prompt action.

According to a statement from Director General Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major-General Asim Bajwa, the two suicide bombers were intercepted by the Levies. While one detonated his vest after being stopped, the other fled who was chased and killed.

"The whole nation is resolute to not only deny any space to these misguided terrorists, but also eliminate them fully," the COAS was quoted as saying.

Facebook Conversations


Ch. Allah Daad | 5 years ago | Reply | Recommend Very well done Levis. You are our real heroes.
Waseem | 5 years ago | Reply | Recommend Thanks, Levis. Pakistanis are proud of you.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story