32 players to be shortlisted for emerging camp: Moin Khan

Few promising cricketers considered separately, says chief selector.


Our Correspondent June 20, 2014
“Our policies are flexible and the chairman felt that Younus should be in the A category which we accepted," said Moin Khan. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

KARACHI: National selection committee chief Moin Khan has said that 32 players will be finalised for the emerging camp, which will be similar to the one held for senior national players recently in Lahore.

Earlier, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had announced the names of 55 players who would take part in trials for the camp, but the list had not contained several top performers. Moin stated that the committee had shortlisted a few promising cricketers separately.

“Top performers have already been shortlisted, whereas the trials are for those players who have not been tried by the selection committee,” said Moin, as he responded to criticism over the names announced by the selectors at a press conference in Karachi.

“We took feedback from the coaches of various regions as well before making the announcement.”

When asked how would he provide exposure for youngsters in the absence of A tours that have remained suspended for several years, the former Test player replied that the PCB is actively working on reviving such tours so that future stars can be groomed.

On another note, the selector revealed that the fittest players in the training camp had been Misbahul Haq, Younus Khan, Shaan Masood and Umar Amin, while Shahid Afridi also stood out in some of the tests.

‘I accept the reversal of Younus decision’

Moin also lamented giving Younus the B category contract which the player had ultimately refused to sign by citing it derogatory and disrespectful. PCB Chairman Najam Sethi had to intervene to control the situation by offering him the A contract.

“Our policies are flexible and the chairman felt that Younus should be in the A category which we accepted.

“As a former player, I too felt that he deserved better, but when the contract committee sat down, it was unanimously decided to offer him the B contract according to our criteria,” he explained.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 21st, 2014.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS (2)

Sshery | 7 years ago | Reply

We need a gulu butt

Why? | 7 years ago | Reply

Why do we have so short sighted persons at the helm of affairs....?? Story of all the institutions where our political leaders can interfare.

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read