Did you know?: Heroin, alcohol overdose resulted in Glee star’s death

Monteith was found dead shortly after noon on Saturday in his room.


Reuters July 17, 2013

Cory Monteith, the 31-year-old heartthrob of Fox Television’s musical-comedy series Glee, apparently died of an accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, said the Canadian authorities on Tuesday.

Monteith was found dead shortly after noon on Saturday in his room at a hotel in Vancouver. Police believe he was alone in the room after returning to the hotel early on Saturday morning.

The British Columbia Coroners Service said in a press release that post-mortem testing on the star shows that he died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.” It said Monteith’s death was unlikely to have been intentional. “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” said Barb McLintock, a spokeswoman for the Coroners Service.



The actor, who was born in Calgary, Alberta, and grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, told Parade magazine in 2011 that he had a serious drug problem during his teenage years for which he received treatment. Monteith was public about his struggles with substance abuse. In April, he completed voluntary treatment for unspecified substance addiction at a rehab facility. He was also treated in a facility at age 19.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 18th, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read