The Sindh High Court issued contempt notice on Wednesday to the returning officer of PS-22 (Naushero Feroze) for starting the process of recounting votes without directives of the Election Commission of Pakistan.
On May 24, the court had directed the ECP to recount votes cast in the constituency on plea of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz’s Arif Mustafa Jatoi.
Jatoi, who lost the seat in the May 11 elections, had challenged results of rival candidate Abdul Sattar Rajpar belonging to the Pakistan Peoples Party.
On Wednesday, Rajpar told the judges that the court had directed the ECP to recount the polled votes but the returning officer started the process on his own which was violation of the court’s direction. He pleaded the court to initiate contempt proceedings against the RO.
Headed by Justice Ahmed Ali M Sheikh, the bench issued contempt notice to the RO concerned to file his comments before the next date which will be later fixed by the office.
Sassui Palijo withdraws plea
Pakistan Peoples Party’s Sassui Palijo was allowed by the SHC to withdraw her plea challenging the results of the general elections on Sindh Assembly’s PS-85 seat from where Ameer Haider Shah Shirazi won.
Previously, the court had restrained the ECP from notifying Shirazi as returned candidate on the seat after Palijo challenged the poll results.
On Wednesday, her lawyers said the election commission is scheduled to hear their client’s plea, therefore, she prefers to take back her petition.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 13th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ