‘Power theft’: Gepco worker dies from torture

FIR says he was beaten up and tortured in a raid to disconnect an illegal connection.

Shahid Muneer August 17, 2012


A line-man with the Gujranwala Electric Power Company died on Wednesday night from injuries suffered in alleged beating and torture by relatives of a former town nazim. 

The FIR stated that Muhammad Saeed had been beaten up and tortured during a raid to disconnect an illegal electricity connection in Mandiyala Warraich area of Cantonment sub-division.

Cantonment police station house officer Rana Islam said body of the deceased had been sent for an autopsy immediately after arrival from Mayo Hospital in Lahore, where he had died on Wednesday night.

Saeed had been referred to Mayo Hospital by doctors who treated him at Gujranwala district headquarters (DHQ) hospital.

Talking to Express TV before he was taken to Lahore, Saeed had accused Muhammad Khurram, Muhammad Irfan, Rao Kashif and his cousin Rao Ikram, identified in the FIR, for beating him up and torturing him with hot iron. He said he had gone to their house to disconnect an illegal electricity connection.

Talking to the Tribune, Rao Ikram denied involvement in the incident and said that he was not at home when the incident took place. But, he said, Saeed was beaten up by his cousin (Rao Kashif) and other men identified in the FIR following a brawl on Wednesday night.

Complainant Ihsanul Haq, brother of the deceased, had also submitted in the application that Saeed was denied treatment at the DHQ hospital because of the influence of the suspects.

He accused Dr Rao Asif, in charge of the emergency, who is a brother Rao Kashif, of delaying treatment to the deceased.

Medical Superintendent Dr Anwar Maan said an inquiry committee had been formed to probe negligence charges against the doctors on duty. He said strict action would be taken against the doctors if the charges were confirmed by the committee.

Meanwhile, GEPCO labour union members on Thursday staged a protest demonstration against Saeed’s death and called for immediate action against the suspects. Gepco union president Iqbal Dar threatened to boycott work if arrests were made in the matter by Friday (today).

Published in The Express Tribune, August 17th, 2012.


surprised | 11 years ago | Reply

Long live the GOOD Governance of Khadim E Ala let us see when he take note of this

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ