Bugti murder case: Arrest warrants issued for Musharraf, Shaukat Aziz

Federal government will now take steps to present the accused in court.


Shezad Baloch October 29, 2011

QUETTA: Arrest warrants were issued on Friday for former army chief and president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf and ex-prime minister Shaukat Aziz, the accused nominated in the Nawab Akbar Bugti murder case.

Bugti was killed along with his 35 comrades in a military action on August 26, 2006 in the mountainous Bhamboor Range near Kohlu and Bugti tribal territory following a two-day battle.

The crime branch investigating the case requested Judicial Magistrate-VI Faisal Hameed to issue the arrest warrants. The crime branch had earlier obtained arrest warrants for former home minister and sitting member of the Provincial Assembly Shoaib Ahmed Nosherwani.

Nawabzada Jamil Bugti, the eldest surviving son of Bugti, had registered an FIR at the Dera Bugti police station against Musharraf, Shaukat Aziz, Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao, former governor of Balochistan Owais Ahmed Ghani, former chief minister Jam Muhammad Yousaf and then home minister of Balochistan Shoaib Ahmed Nosherwani. He held them all responsible for his father’s murder.

The police registered the FIR following the directives of the Balochistan High Court (BHC), as they had earlier refused to register a case against the former dictator and the other political figures.

Sherpao and Ghani had submitted a reply before the BHC saying that since they were part of the civilian set-up, and the operation was launched by the army, they had nothing to do with Bugti’s killing. They also assured complete cooperation with the investigation team.

The Balochistan government had earlier requested the federal government to extradite Musharraf, but the federal government had asked for his arrest warrant which is required by Interpol in order for it to issue red warrants to nab fugitives.

“Today [Friday] the judicial magistrate in Quetta issued an arrest warrant for both Musharraf and Shaukat Aziz,” Adnan Kasi, a lawyer representing Jamil, told AFP.

The arrest warrants will be sent to the federal government to take steps to present the accused in court, Kasi said.

(WITH ADDITIONAL INPUT FROM AFP)

Published in The Express Tribune, October 29th, 2011. 

COMMENTS (43)

laserwave | 10 years ago | Reply Bugti was a coward !!!
MK | 10 years ago | Reply

I think Pakistan has bigger issues than arresting Mr. Bugti's murderers.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read