TODAY’S PAPER | May 18, 2026 | EPAPER

Three killed in Wana Bazaar blast in Lower South Waziristan

Initial investigations suggest vehicle was specifically targeted using explosive material


Nasruminallah/Ali Murad May 18, 2026 1 min read
A powerful explosion in Wana Bazaar, the main city and headquarters of Lower South Waziristan, killed three people, including the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe Chief Malik Tariq Khan, while two others sustained critical injuries. PHOTO: EXPRESS

MIRANSHAH:

A powerful explosion in Wana Bazaar, the main commercial hub and headquarters of Lower South Waziristan, killed at least three people, including Ahmadzai Wazir tribe chief Malik Tariq Khan, and critically injured two others on Monday, police said.

The blast occurred near the gate of Khanzada Market while Khan’s vehicle was passing through the area, District Police Officer (DPO) Muhammad Tahir Shah Wazir confirmed. The explosion resulted in the targeted vehicle being severely damaged, while windows of nearby shops and buildings were shattered.

Initial investigations suggested the vehicle was specifically targeted using explosive material. Preliminary evidence indicates the attack may have been carried out with a remote-controlled device.

Police identified the other two deceased as Malik Sarfaraz Khan Yar Gul Khel and Yar Gul Khail Jan. The two injured were shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital in Wana, where hospital sources described their condition as critical.

Following the incident, police, security forces, and bomb disposal squad personnel reached the site and cordoned off the area. Security agencies also launched a search operation in and around Wana Bazaar, while checkpoints at entry and exit routes were tightened.

Police officials said investigations into the nature of the blast and the explosive material used were ongoing, with authorities examining multiple aspects of the incident. Tribal elders, along with local political and social figures, strongly condemned the attack and demanded the immediate arrest and strict punishment of those responsible.

Last week, at least nine people, including two traffic police officials, were martyred, and 33 others sustained injuries in a powerful explosion that ripped through a busy market area in Lakki Marwat district.

Read More: Death toll from Bannu police attack rises to 15

Fifteen police personnel were martyred in a brazen attack on a Bannu police checkpoint, as a banned outfit, Ittehad Mujahideen Pakistan, belonging to Fitna al-Khawarij, claimed responsibility on May 10.

On the night between Saturday and Sunday, terrorists rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the Fateh Khel police checkpoint in Bannu, triggering a massive blast that completely reduced the structure to rubble.

Bannu Regional Police Officer Sajjad Khan said that a total of 18 police personnel were present at the checkpoint at the time of the attack. "Of them, 15 embraced martyrdom on the spot, while three sustained serious injuries," he said. The explosion also caused extensive damage to nearby residential buildings and structures.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ