TODAY’S PAPER | May 18, 2026 | EPAPER

Full steam ahead for Shahrah-e-Bhutto opening

Sharjeel says road project will open on May 23, aiming to ease chronic traffic congestion


Our Correspondent May 18, 2026 1 min read
Photo: Express

KARACHI:

Sindh Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on Sunday announced that the long-awaited Shahrah-e-Bhutto project will officially open to the public on May 23, with Bilawal Bhutto Zardari scheduled to inaugurate the major transport corridor.

Speaking to the media during a visit to the project site alongside Local Government Minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah and Karachi Deputy Mayor Salman Abdullah Murad, Memon said the project, developed under a public-private partnership model, would significantly reduce travel time and traffic congestion across Karachi.

He also announced that the groundbreaking ceremony for the Karachi Port-to-Qayyumabad bridge project would take place on the same day, adding that journeys currently taking hours would eventually be reduced to just minutes.

Memon said Sindh's public-private partnership model had gained national and international recognition, claiming the United Nations had acknowledged the Shahrah-e-Bhutto project with an award. He added that even the prime minister had praised Sindh's infrastructure financing model.

Responding to political questions, the minister said no formal contact had been made by the federal government regarding any new constitutional amendment and urged the public not to pay attention to rumours. He also criticised the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), claiming its politics had lost public support.

Later, during a separate visit to the Red Line BRT project, Memon said construction work on mixed-traffic lanes was continuing day and night, while work on other sections was progressing rapidly. He acknowledged that utility relocation and heavy traffic on University Road had slowed progress but insisted the project would provide long-term relief to Karachi residents.

The minister said several mega development projects, including hospitals, universities and transport initiatives, were underway across Sindh. He added that electric buses, Pink Bus services and electric scooters had already been introduced, while an EV taxi scheme would also launch soon to improve public transport facilities.

Addressing concerns about narcotics, Memon described drug abuse as a "serious national challenge" and called for collective action against drug networks. He stressed that drug dealers were "selling poison" and urged stronger rehabilitation systems and stricter action against traffickers.

On a question regarding the Ghotki-Kandhkot bridge, Memon confirmed that a lift slip incident had occurred during construction but said no casualties were reported and any financial loss would be borne by the contractor, not the public.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ