India call Pakistan 'quality side' ahead of T20 World Cup clash

Pakistan's decision to go ahead with the match was hailed as an outbreak of 'good sense' and 'good for cricket'

Fans of India and Pakistan are expected to fill out the Dubai International Cricket Stadium. PHOTO: AFP

India said on Tuesday it would be "a challenge" to face a "quality" Pakistan team in Colombo after Islamabad decided to play the blockbuster T20 World Cup clash.

The federal government late on Monday ended a week-long stand-off by rescinding its order for the cricket team to boycott the February 15 match.

"It's great that the game is back on, we kind of never changed the preparation," said India assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate.

India will face a second Group A match against Namibia on Thursday in New Delhi before flying to Sri Lanka.

It means a quick turnaround for Sunday's match, the biggest and most lucrative clash in world cricket. "It's going to be a challenge going to Colombo where Pakistan have been for the last two weeks," added Doeschate.

He further said, "We are delighted to have another chance to play against a quality side in the first phase of the tournament. We are fully focused on just bringing our best game to that fixture."

Read More: Pakistan had no 'personal agenda' in meetings with ICC, BCB officials: Naqvi

Pakistan's decision to go ahead with the match was hailed today as an outbreak of "good sense" and "good for cricket".

A frantic weekend of negotiations saw the International Cricket Council (ICC) and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chiefs fly to Lahore on Sunday for talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

The governments of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka both wrote to Islamabad on Monday urging it to change its stance and allow the game to go ahead.

After "multilateral discussions, as well as the request of friendly countries, the Government of Pakistan hereby directs the Pakistan National Cricket Team to take the field on February 15", the government said on its official X account late on Monday night. The decision had been taken with the aim of "protecting the spirit of cricket", it added.

Load Next Story