Daesh-linked Afghan mastermind of Islamabad imambargah attack in custody: Mohsin Naqvi

Says Daesh planned entire attack in Afghanistan, and four facilitators were arrested in raids in Peshawar and Nowshera

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi addresses a press conference in Islamabad on Saturday. — SCREENGRAB

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi announced on Saturday that the mastermind of the attack on an Islamabad imambargah was under custody.

At least 32 people were killed and around 169 others injured when a suicide bomber struck Imambargah Khadijah al-Kubra during Friday prayers, according to authorities and hospital officials. The blast occurred as worshippers gathered for Jumma prayers and was accompanied by explosions and gunfire.

The attack was the deadliest in Islamabad in more than a decade and the deadliest nationwide since the Peshawar mosque bombing in January 2023.

Earlier today, security sources said that Pakistani authorities arrested four facilitators and an Afghan mastermind linked to the Islamic State (Daesh). Intelligence and law enforcement agencies carried out raids in Peshawar and Nowshera, arresting the four facilitators of the suicide bomber. The operations were conducted on the basis of technical and human intelligence.

The security officials said the Afghan mastermind of the attack, linked to Daesh, was also arrested. They said the planning, training and indoctrination of the attacker were carried out by Daesh in Afghanistan. The sources alleged that under the patronage of the Afghan Taliban, Daesh and other terrorist organisations posed a serious threat to regional and global peace. During the operations, one security personnel was killed and three others were injured, the sources said.

Addressing a press conference in Islamabad after a high-level security meeting, the interior minister confirmed the arrests and said one police personnel was martyred while three were injured.

Naqvi described Friday as a “black day” for the country and provided updates on the investigation and arrests following the deadly Islamabad blast.

“Following the blast, all our agencies went out on the lead. Operations continued throughout the night. The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) police have arrested almost all individuals linked to the attack or the masterminds behind it,” he said.

He congratulated the CTD and K-P police teams for their efforts.

“Immediately after the blast, a raid was conducted in Nowshera and Peshawar, and four facilitators were arrested. The ISIS mastermind, an Afghan national, has also been captured. During the raid, one assistant sub-inspector from the K-P police was martyred. The main mastermind is linked to ISIS and is in our custody,” Naqvi said.

The interior minister said that the network behind the blast was trained in Afghanistan and that authorities had gathered intelligence on the suspects before the attack.

“All the planning for this incident took place in Afghanistan, where they were trained. We had information regarding them. We did not expect to apprehend them so quickly, but our agencies did an excellent job,” he said.

Naqvi added that the entire Islamic State network in Pakistan had been dismantled and accused external actors of financing the group.

Load Next Story