PML-N, PPP spar over Lahore–Bahawalnagar motorway funds in NA

PPP alleges diversion of funds from the Sukkur–Hyderabad motorway; ruling govt representative denies claim

Photo: NAofPakistan/ X

A confrontation between the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) was narrowly averted during a National Assembly session on Tuesday after a dispute emerged over the proposed transfer of funds for the Lahore–Bahawalnagar motorway.

The issue surfaced when PPP member Syed Naveed Qamar submitted a calling-attention notice regarding the alleged diversion of funds from the Sukkur–Hyderabad motorway project to the Lahore–Bahawalnagar motorway. PPP lawmakers accused the PML-N-led government of reallocating development funds for political purposes.

Responding to the allegations, Minister of State for Planning Armaghan Subhani rejected the claims. He said Qamar had raised a question regarding the transfer of Rs465 billion from the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) for the Bahawalpur motorway, but there was no definitive justification for such an assertion. He added that no inter-scheme allocations were being provided for the project.

Read: NA seeks probe into offloading of passengers at airports

Qamar, however, said the issue was not merely about the diversion of PSDP funds but whether the project had been federalised. He argued that the motorway clearly fell within a single province, running from one point to another. He further claimed that International Monetary Fund (IMF) conditionalities were being ignored for political reasons. “I don’t think this is the best way to handle these projects,” he said.

PPP leader Sharmila Farooqi said commitments made on the floor of the House contradicted the facts. She noted that the project’s PC-1, valued at Rs465 billion, had already been submitted to the Central Development Working Party (CDWP).

“This is a completely provincial project, and including it in the PSDP is a breach of the national fiscal pact, where no provincial project can be included in the PSDP unless the province agrees to a 50 per cent financing plan. It was recommended for submission to ECNEC even though it cannot be funded by the federal government,” she said.

Load Next Story