Title-chasing Piastri takes pole for Qatar Grand Prix
Norris slips up in final lap to give rival advantage while Verstappen third on grid

Oscar Piastri grabbed pole position for the penultimate race of the Formula One season when he edged team-mate and title rival Lando Norris as time expired in Saturday's qualifying for the Qatar Grand Prix.
Piastri had cut Norris's lead in the championship to 22 points by winning the sprint race earlier in the day.
Red Bull's Max Verstappen, the only other driver who could win the title, qualified third. The defending champion is 25 points behind Norris.
George Russell was fourth in a Mercedes.
Norris took an early grip on the final qualifying session, which was then interrupted after Carlos Sainz came out of the pits with plastic wrapping around one of the tyres on his Williams and it peeled off on a corner.
At the re-start, the drivers had enough time for a flying lap, but Norris abandoned after starting badly.
"I just had a bit of understeer and was going to go off so I had to abort," said Norris. "Which was a shame, but it's the way that it is."
Piastri made the most of his opening.
"That was mega," the Australian shouted into his radio.
The fastest qualifier has won all three previous Qatar Grand Prix, although in 2024, Max Verstappen incurred a penalty in Q3, was demoted to second on the grid but won anyway.
Norris said he believed he had a chance.
"You never know. The first couple of laps are always opportunities for everyone but after there I think it's probably going to be pretty straightforward for everyone too," he said.
Piastri, who needs to finish ahead of Norris to take the title race to the wire, said he was looking forward to it.
"It will be a tough race. Hard work but incredibly fun," he said.
Earlier, seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton continued to struggle, posting the 18th fastest time in his Ferrari in the 20-car first qualifying session and failing to advance. It was his fifth straight early exit in qualifying.
Norris has 'nothing to complain about' after missing Qatar GP pole
Lando Norris said on Saturday that he had nothing to moan about after being beaten to pole for the Qatar Grand Prix by McLaren team-mate and title rival Oscar Piastri.
The 26-year-old Briton appeared to be in control after his first flying lap in the third and final qualifying session, but slid off track and aborted his final run before Piastri scorched to pole in the final seconds.
He said that understeer caused him to lose his lap, but felt satisfied to start from second on the grid in a McLaren front row lockout on Sunday.
"I just got a bit of understeer and was going to go off so I had to abort. It's a shame, but that's the way it is," Norris said.
"Oscar did a good lap and drove very well as he has been driving all weekend. So, I've nothing to complain about -- I just didn't do the lap but I'm still P2 for tomorrow."
Piastri's sprint win was his first significant success since winning the Dutch Grand Prix on August 31, followed up with his sixth career pole position for Sunday's race.
"I'm starting from the best spot so I will try and do some more of what I did today in the sprint and then see what we can do," Piastri said.
Three points back on Piastri and starting third on Sunday, Red Bull's Verstappen insisted that he would not do "anything crazy" as he tries to keep alive hopes of a fifth drivers' world title.
"I'm not too worried about it (losing his title)," he said.
"I'm just trying to do my best and if there's a chance, of course, you go for it. But on the other hand you don't want to do anything crazy. It doesn't help at all."


















COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ