Four Zaireen die as bus overturns

Forty others sustain injuries; condition of three of them said to be serious


Our Correspondent July 31, 2023
Photo: Express/File

print-news
RAJANPUR:

A bus carrying Zaireen from Sakhi Sarwar in Dera Ghazi Khan to a place in Sindh overturned on the Indus Highway in Fazilpur area of Rajanpur district, killing four people and injuring 40 others.

The injured were shifted to the Rural Health Centre of Fazilpur which happened to be just five minutes’ drive away from the site of the accident.

The bodies were also taken to the RHC.

The nature of the injuries of most of the Zaireen who had been taken to the RHC was minor, and they were discharged after dispensing them with medical aid, a doctor working at the Rajanpur DHQ told The Express Tribune.

She said that those whose injuries were severe were referred to the Rajanpur DHQ, about half-an-hour’s drive from the Fazilpur Rural Health Centre.

The doctor said that the condition of the injured were stable except for three of the Zaireen who were shifted to a tertiary health unit in Rahim Yar Khan.

Meanwhile, Punjab Caretaker Chief Minister Mohsin Naqvi expressed his deep sense of sorrow and grief over the loss of precious human lives in the traffic accident near Rajanpur.

Naqvi expressed heartfelt sympathy with the heirs of the deceased.

He directed the administration to provide best treatment to the injured and also sought a report on the accident.

Meanwhile, 10 other people died in separate road accidents in all the 37 districts of Punjab on Sunday while over a thousand others sustained injuries in those accidents in the last 24 hours.

Nearly 500 people who had sustained serious injuries were shifted to different hospitals, while 446 victims with minor injuries were treated on the sites of the accidents.

An overwhelming majority of accident, which constituted 71% of all the accidents, involved motorbikes.

Furthermore, the analysis showed that 478 drivers, 33 underage drivers, 120 pedestrians and 351 passengers were among the victims of road traffic crashes.

The statistics show that 267 accidents were reported in Lahore, affecting 259 people and placing the provincial capital at the top of the list of the cities where the accidents took place.

The provincial capital was followed by Faisalabad where 100 accidents took place, and at the third spot was Multan with 69 RTCs and 65 victims.

Out of the total number of 1176 victims involved in road accidents, 770 were males and 179 females.

As far as the age group of the people involved in accidents was concerned, 184 were teenager, 497 were between the age of 18 and 40 and the rest of the victims were above 40 years of age. According to the data 739 motorbikes, 68 auto-rickshaws, 81 motorcars, 22 vans, 18 passenger buses, 23 trucks and 84 other types of auto vehicles and slow-moving carts were involved in the road accidents.

In the month of January this year, four of family had died when their car was hit by a coach.

The deceased had been identified as Abdullah, his son Yunan, daughter Sakina Bibi and a cousin Umar Daraz

The accident had happened on Chandni Chowk near Bhakkar.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 31st, 2023.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ