World number one Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from next month's ATP/WTA Indian Wells tournament in California, organisers confirmed on Wednesday.
"We are disappointed that Novak will not be able to join us at the BNP Paribas Open this fall," tournament director Tommy Haas said.
Djokovic has not played since his defeat in the final of the US Open earlier this month, where he missed out on his chance to win a record-breaking 21st major title and a calendar year Grand Slam.
Djokovic is a five-time champion at Indian Wells, lifting the title in 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
The tournament in the California desert is taking place from Oct 4-17 this year after being moved from its traditional slot in March due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The 2020 edition of the tournament was cancelled.
Raducanu handed Indian Wells wild card berth
Newly crowned US Open champion Emma Raducanu has been granted a wild card into the ATP/WTA Indian Wells tournament starting in California next week, organisers said Tuesday.
The 18-year-old British phenomenon, who stunned the tennis world after winning the US Open as an unseeded qualifier, will be making her debut at the rescheduled October 4-17 event.
It is the latest stop on a remarkable season for Raducanu, who only made her WTA Tour debut in June.
The teenager reached the fourth round at Wimbledon and then became the first qualifier in history to win a Grand Slam with her victory at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.
Raducanu's Grand Slam triumph has catapulted her up the world rankings, rising more than 100 places to world number 22.
Remaining wild card places and the singles and qualifying draws for Indian Wells will be confirmed later this week.
The tournament was rescheduled to October from its traditional slot in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ