60 suspects identified in harassment incident

Photographs of suspects sent to NADRA for further verification


Our Correspondent August 21, 2021
PHOTO: SCREENGRAB

LAHORE:

Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Inam Ghani has said that as many as 60 culprits have been identified in the harassment case at Greater Iqbal Park last week.

“Several teams of Lahore Police are working day and night to ensure arrests as soon as possible after identifying the culprits of the tragic and sad incident with a woman in Greater Iqbal Park. No effort will be spared to arrest all the accused involved as soon as possible.”

Speaking to the media on Friday, he further said that 60 photographs of the suspects have been sent to NADRA and the police teams were conducting raids for the immediate arrest of the accused whose identities were being received and so far 30 men had been arrested after identification.

He stated that the identification of the suspects was also being done with the help of viral videos on social media platforms while the process of arresting the other accused identified by the arrested accused was also underway.

Read Women, allies demand action against Iqbal Park assaulters

The IG highlighted that the police teams were also active in arresting the accused with the help of geofencing while using all available resources and modern technology, the arrest and speedy investigation of the accused was being ensured.

He elaborated, “The accused involved in gender crimes do not deserve any concession which is why the provisions of the FIR of the incident are punishable by life imprisonment or death penalty. I myself am keeping an eye on the investigation of the incident and Punjab Police while fulfilling all the requirements of justice will leave no stone unturned in providing speedy justice to the victim and convicting the accused.”

The IGP urged the public to refrain from speculating about the case and discourage rumours as spreading any word or information without verification would affect the investigation of the case.

The name of the citizen who gives us related evidence and information would be kept secret and action will be taken against the accused without any delay, he clarified.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 21st, 2021.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read