Action under way to rid Karachi of water theft: Nasir

KWSB seizes motors, equipment in anti-water theft operation in Golimar


News Desk May 19, 2021
Sindh Local Government Minister Nasir Hussain Shah and officers of KWSB look at the water pump installed on an illegal connection under a bridge in the Golimar area of Karachi. PHOTO: EXPRESS

Action against water theft will continue till the metropolis is completely rid of the menace, vowed Sindh Local Government Minister Nasir Hussain Shah.

According to a statement issued on Tuesday, the minister said this while inspecting Golimar area following a raid by the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board's (KWSB) anti-theft cell.

After today's successful operation, water supply in South district, especially in Lyari and its adjoining areas will improve by 20 to 25 per cent, declared Shah.

Water was being stolen from under the Lyari River Bridge in a technical and scientific manner, said Shah, adding that illegal connections had been made on KWSB lines. Similar kind of water theft has been identified in other areas and further action is imminent, he said.

Read: Sindh’s rulers stealing irrigation water: Haleem

The KWSB teams have been facing resistance from the water mafia, according to Shah, who apprised that the Sindh chief minister has directed the Sindh Police chief and Sindh Rangers to provide KWSB teams. Besides, the approval for an anti-water theft police station in the city has also been given, he added.

No one will be spared, no matter how influential, action will be taken against everyone," he vowed.

The citizens of Karachi have been facing difficulties as their water is being stolen, he said, adding that the purpose of a grand operation against water theft is to ensure water is delivered to people.

Earlier, the KWSB teams confiscated several motors, pipes and other equipment, during an operation at Lyari River in Golimar, against elements involved in the alleged water theft. Millions of gallons of water was being stolen after tampering with KWSB's main water lines, said officials.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 19th, 2021.

E-Publications

Most Read

RELATED

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ