Rangers nab cop’s ‘killers’

Constable Sheraz Khan was gunned down by unidentified men on Feb 18

Our Correspondent March 01, 2021


The Rangers and police carried out a joint operation on Sunday and arrested two persons suspected of killing a police constable, 30-year-old Sheraz Khan, on February 18.

A Rangers spokesperson said Khan was shot dead by unidentified men near Pakhtun Chowk and his family had told the police that he had left his house on the night of the murder after he received a call.

According to the FIR of the case, Khan had returned home from work at around 8.30pm, when he received a call and left his house at around 8.45pm. The complainant was informed at 10:30 pm that Khan was injured, but he found his body when he reached Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.

Khan, who was a resident of Frontier Colony, was transferred from the police special security unit to Anti-Vehicle Lifting Cell, Sharifabad, days before his murder.

During the initial investigation, the police said they had found four bullet shells of a 9mm pistol and Khan's weapon at the crime scene.

Later, the Sindh IGP had taken notice of the incident and sought a report on the matter.

Arrests and interrogation

Since Khan had left his house after he received a call, the law enforcers had acquired his phone records, wherein they found the numbers of the two arrested suspects, Javed and Shan, according to the Rangers spokesperson.

Both the suspects were traced and arrested and weapons were confiscated from their possession, he said.

The spokesperson further stated that the suspects had confessed to conspiring with two others, Abid alias Chura and Faizullah, to call Sheraz and murder him.

Raids are being carried to arrest Aid and Faizullah, he added.

Besides, a notification issued by the Rangers stated that Abid and Faizullah had also confessed during interrogation to their involvement in mugging and robbery incident, during which they had snatched Rs2.8 million in SITE Industrial Area, Rs200,000 from a barber shop in Mominabad, and Rs5 million from a factory owner and manager.

The suspects have been handed over to the police and further investigation of the case is underway, the statement said.


Published in The Express Tribune, March 1st, 2021.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read