KARACHI: The Sindh government has decided to set up a new isolation centre at the Pakistan Air Force Museum in Karachi, stated Sindh government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab on Sunday.
In a post on Twitter, Wahab said that an initial amount of Rs30 million had been released for the establishment of the centre, adding that Rs134 million were released for the previous facility established at the Expo Centre Karachi.
The new 1,000-bed isolation centre is to be operated by Sindh health department officials, sources privy to the development told The Express Tribune late on Saturday, adding that coronavirus patients will be able to receive medical treatment here. They said Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah had ordered the purchase of all necessary equipment for the facility.
Isolation takes a toll on fishermen's community
The move is part of sweeping measures to try to curb the outbreak of coronavirus, as the pandemic tally in the province soared past 7,000 this weekend.
Earlier in the week, the Coronavirus Emergency Fund committee had sanctioned the release of Rs30 million for the project.
The Expo Centre isolation facility, meanwhile, has 1,200 beds and was jointly set up by the Sindh government and the federal government in collaboration with the Pakistan Army last month.
Separately, Wahab also addressed the picture of an alleged Iftar gathering at the CM House, claiming that the viral photograph was from 2018 and pointing out that two former provincial ministers could also be seen in the photograph.
Tales of survivors: ‘Isolation, not coronavirus, was my worst nightmare’
Expressing displeasure over such 'propaganda,' Wahab insisted that those using these tactics could not distract the Sindh government from its objectives in this manner. He further appealed to the public to help identify those involved in spreading fake news so that legal action could be taken against them.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 4th, 2020.