Apple rejects claims it did not provide assistance in Pensacola shooting probe

The company to help the Federal Bureau of Investigation unlock two iPhones involved in the case


Reuters January 14, 2020
The Apple Inc. logo is shown outside the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, California, US, June 13, 2016. PHOTO: REUTERS

Apple on Monday said it rejects “the characterisation that Apple has not provided substantive assistance” in the investigation into a shooting in Pensacola, Florida, last month.

Apple’s comments came after US Attorney General William Barr called the fatal shooting of three Americans by a Saudi Air Force officer at a Florida naval base “an act of terrorism” and called on the technology company to help the Federal Bureau of Investigation unlock two iPhones involved in the case.

London court allows mass claim against Google over iPhone data

In its statement, Apple said it responded to all queries from law enforcement officials and turned over all information that it had access to.

Apple rolls out free repair for iPhone 6S devices

The company said it received the first inquiry on Janurary 6 but was not notified of a second iPhone until January 8.

It also said its engineering teams “recently had a call to provide additional technical assistance” to the FBI.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read