Sudan army rulers admit dispersing sit-in

The UN confirms the killing of 17 people and the burning of more than 100 houses in Deleij village in Darfur


AFP/REUTERS June 14, 2019
A man is seen inside a burnt house during clashes between nomads and residents in Deleij village, located in Wadi Salih locality, Central Darfur, Sudan June 11, 2019. PHOTO: REUTERS

KHARTOUM: Sudan's ruling military council for the first time admitted it had ordered the June 3 dispersal of a Khartoum protest sit-in that left dozens dead and hundreds wounded.

"The military council decided to disperse the sit-in and a plan was made... but we regret that some mistakes happened," spokesperson Shamseddine Kabbashi told reporters.

Sudan rivals agree to new talks as protest strike ends: mediator

He said the military would not allow any further protest camps to be set up near armed forces sites, after the sit-in outside army headquarters in central Khartoum was cleared.

Kabbashi said the findings of an investigation into the events of June 3 would be released on Saturday.

Thousands of protesters had held a round-the-clock sit-in outside the army complex since April 6, initially seeking the army's help to oust longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir.

The army toppled Bashir on April 11 but since then the ruling generals have resisted calls to hand over power to a civil administration.

Demonstrators continued with the sit-in even as they held negotiations with the generals over the form of a new governing body.

The talks collapsed in May over the question of whether the body should have a civilian or military head.

That was followed by a bloody crackdown on the sit-in.

A doctors' committee linked to the protest movement says about 120 people have been killed since June 3, while the health ministry has put the death toll for that day at 61.

The two sides have now agreed to resume talks, following mediation by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

But protest leaders have insisted on certain conditions, including removing an internet blockade imposed since the crackdown.

Kabbashi welcomed Ethiopian mediation, but said that "whatever has to do with social media, we find it dangerous and we will not allow it so long as we see it as a threat to national security".

17 deaths in Darfur

The United Nations said confirmed the killing of 17 people and the burning of more than 100 houses in Deleij village in the Darfur region of Sudan earlier this week.

The United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur also said 15 people were injured and the violence “occurred during heated clashes between nomads and residents apparently angered by the increase in commodity prices at the local market”.

Opposition medics said “Janjaweed militias” fired live ammunition at civilians on Monday at a market in Deleij, Central Darfur, killing 11 people and wounding 20 others.

Sudan authorities shut down Al Jazeera office as protests continue

The Janjaweed are Arab militias who have been accused of committing atrocities in Darfur, in the west of Sudan, during a civil conflict that started in 2003 and, according to UN estimates, has killed up to 300,000 people and displaced 2.7 million.

Ousted President Omar al-Bashir’s government denied the allegations on Darfur.

 

 

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ