‘No no-go areas left in Balochistan’

Lt Gen Asim Bajwa says province turning into country’s economic hub


Mohammad Zafar March 22, 2019
PHOTO: AFP

QUETTA: The Commander of the Pakistan Army’s Southern Command, Lt General Asim Saleem Bajwa, has said that the law and order situation had improved in Balochistan to the extent that there were now no no-go areas left in the province.

Speaking at a conference on the development of the mineral sector in Balochistan, he said that the improved law and order situation meant that the province was now entering a new era of development and was turning into the economic hub of the country, thus creating lucrative opportunities for investors.

He further said that the improved security situation also meant that the government was now in a position to provide security to local and foreign investors interested in opportunities in Balochistan, adding that the Pakistan Army would extend all help and cooperation to the provincial government in that regard.

Travel advisory: Govt issues list of ‘no go’ areas for foreigners


Lt General Bajwa also said that work would soon begin on the Quetta Safe City Project and, in the second phase, the Safe City Project would be launched in the port city of Gwadar and the industrial town of Hub.

He also informed the conference that the construction of the fence on the border with Afghanistan was continuing and that, so far, 370 kilometres of the fence had been completed with work set to resume next month on fencing more of the Afghan border.

He also emphasized that the mining sector should be developed for local and foreign investment in the province and that all stakeholders should play their role in that regard.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read