Four of a family die of suffocation in Quetta

Tragic incident occurred after family forgot to turn off gas heater at night


Mohammad Zafar February 09, 2019
PHOTO: FILE

QUETTA: Four members of a family including father and his three children died of suffocation on Friday night in Balochistan’s provincial capital which is reeling under a spell of intense winter.  According to police, the incident took place at Quetta’s Pashtoonabad area.

Abdul Salam, his wife and four children – aged between three to six years – went to sleep in an unventilated room and forgot to turn off a gas heater.

Family of five dies of suffocation following exposure to gas in Abbottabad

“During the night, the room was filled with gas which left Abul Salam, his son Ahmed Khan, and two daughters – Rakeema and Nosheema – dead. His wife and a daughter, Habiba, survived the tragic incident as they were brought to the Civil Hospital unconscious,” said a police official.

He said rescue workers also shifted the bodies to the hospital for medico legal process. Police have lodged a first information report (FIR) of the incident and opened investigation.

Despite very cold weather major parts of the provincial capital are facing low gas pressure, causing deadly incidents.  On Thursday video of a gas leakage explosion in Quetta went viral on social media. Residents of Quetta slam the Sui Southern Gas Company for not taking steps to resolve the low gas pressure issue.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read