KARACHI : Chief Justice Saqib Nisar on Wednesday deferred the eviction notice by three months given to the residents of Pakistan Quarters.
Chief Minister Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah thanked the chief justice for taking notice of the incident.
Earlier, protesters and police clashed on Wednesday in the area of Pakistan Quarters after authorities attempted to evict residents under an apex court order.
Shah took notice of the matter and asked police contingents to withdraw from the Pakistan Quarters. He had also contacted IG Sindh and said that “such actions against the masses are hurtful”.
Police contingents used water cannons and baton-charged the protesters in an effort to disperse the crowds but faced stiff resistance as the area’s residents resorted to pelting stones and creating road blockades.
During the police operation, protesters also chanted slogans against the government.
Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) leaders Amir Khan, Naveed Jamil, Farooq Sattar and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) MPA Jamal Siddiqui also reached the site to extend their support for the residents.
Sindh Chief Minister’s Adviser Murtaza Wahab has said that Pakistan Quarters is the property of the federal government, and that the evictions were being carried out on the orders of the Supreme Court.
Wahab stressed “that the issue of eviction did not pertain to the Sindh government,” and added that the chief minister has taken notice of the police action against the protesters and ordered for it to stop. He added that the Sindh government stands with the residents.
The Supreme Court (SC) earlier in July dismissed a stay order petition by residents of Martin Quarters among other government housing areas and ordered the government to continue the process of vacating the houses.
Government employees including women and children protested outside the Supreme Court Karachi Registry against the verdict as state officers were ordered to wrap up the matter of clearing illegal occupants of Pakistan Quarters and Pakistan Secretariat within 10 days.
The court had further ordered state officers to make their decisions after hearing the individual petitions by the residents and said that the applications of all residents of government quarters should be reviewed.